Sunday, March 6, 2016

March 6, 2016

The Flip Flop Quilt is Finished!
March 6, 2016


My Flip Flop Quilt

It has taken years, but finally, I have finished the cute little (45 inch square) Flip Flop quilt.  It is from a pattern I bought 8-10 years ago.  Why did it take so long?  I don't know.  There have been things I collected for it along the way.  The backing fabric was only purchased about 2-3 years ago.  The buttons on each pair of flip flops were collected over time.  Other fabrics for sashings, borders, and binding have been purchased in more recent years.  The little pairs of flip flops in the corners of each block were purchased in San Antonio last weekend as was the fabric for the binding.

Rarely does a quilt take that long, but then again, many of mine have spread out for years.  Usually the reason I set one aside is that something stopped me.  It could be a project I needed to complete pushed one aside.  It could be that I needed an idea for the next step.  There is one I started 12-15 years ago and it was a Block of the Month set of patterns.  When October arrived, the square was a little girl in a witch costume.  I didn't want that and I have never figured what to replace it with.

Today we went to Sunday School and Worship Service.  We had a great class - 26 present.  That is almost all of our members.  It was a good lesson with lots of participation.  We had a new visitor and after class he told Ron he liked all the participation from the group.

The Worship Service was good.  We had a guest, a man from Chiapas, Mexico who started an orphanage there many years ago.  Two of our grandsons went on a trip down there a couple of years ago and worked for a week.  They both were very impressed with the project and look forward to someday being able to go again.  

 The pastor showed the recently earned degree certificate for our church school superintendent, Terry Roberts from Liberty University.  What an asset this man and his family have been to our church.  His visions for the future of the church school continually expand.
Pastor Steve Dorman and Church School Superintendent Terry Roberts
After church, Ron and I picked up lunch and came home to eat and talk.  Then he worked in the yard for a couple of hours.  I worked out there about 45 minutes cutting back some hibiscus bushes.  I wish I had done them sooner, but I am glad I finally got them done.

Birds were in and out of the yard all afternoon.  Mostly there were sparrows and doves.  The doves arrived yesterday after not making an appearance for a couple of months.  There were also Red-winged Blackbirds again today.

I spent most of the rest of the day working on the quilt, reading, and taking a brief nap while Ron attended a committee meeting at the church.  I was able to pick another rose from my little rose garden.  It is a very pale yellow, almost an ivory.

This morning in the Worship Service, I used the cord from my Cochlear sound processor to the little transistor radio that the church has for the hearing impaired.  The church has a second channel for the Spanish speaking which broadcasts the sermon through a Spanish-speaking translator.  It worked much better today than it had the last few Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment