Friday, March 11, 2016

March 11, 2016

Sleepy Morning
March 11, 2016


Great Kiskadee gathering materials for a nest.
Ron woke me before he left for the office.  I must have just turned over and gone back to sleep - for another hour!  I think I slept 12 hours last night.  I went out into the yard to check on things and spotted this Great Kiskadee dismantling my hanging basket for his nest.  He had quite a load there.
 My pots of Amaryllis plants are just about ready to bloom.  

By the time I got to the office it was almost 11:00.  Ron left for some commitments.  He came back for a little bit and then left again.  It was 3:00 before I got to my lunch, but my breakfast had been so late, I guess that was okay.

As I walked out toward the water, I saw that a paddle boat had drifted to the end of the resaca behind our house.  A Moorhen had taken over command of the vessel and it was sinking.  He finally abandoned the boat.
Moorhen

I spent a little time just watching the activity on the water.  The Moorhen wandered off and the Pied-billed Grebe swam around the area behind our house.  (See photo below)


While Ron was out I took care of customers' needs and did a little cleaning.  I found the surface on my desk again.  It had been missing in action (or maybe it was due to lack of action on my part.)  I did a little filing and paid some bills.  I balanced the checkbook and sent the report off to the accountant.
 Such beautiful clouds
Late in the afternoon I printed some note cards and looked for some photos to use on them.  I need to make some more Monday.  We left the shop after closing and went to my mom's house.  Ron was going to help her on some things.  Seems it will have to wait for Monday.  We went to supper at Jason's Deli and following supper Mom and I decided we would both rather go to the store for groceries then, rather than on Saturday.  We got our shopping done and I took her home and when I got home, I unloaded my groceries and put them away.   
Mom's amaryllis are ahead of mine this year.  Last year they were 2 or 3 weeks behind mine.

Tonight on Facebook I found out the son of a good friend had died.  Her son was the age of our youngest son - far too young to die.  He had served in the military for 12 years and was living on the east coast with his wife and three daughters.  So sad.  I can't imagine the grief for all the family.  It is one of those times that you just want to go hug your own children and are reminded how precious each of those lives are.

No comments:

Post a Comment