Thursday, July 23, 2015

July 23, 2015

My "Baby" Sister Turns 60
How Can That Be?
July 23, 2015

 The center of the Log Cabin Quilt that just came back from being quilted
Today is my baby sister's birthday.  How can she be 60?  That means I am older than 60.  Actually I am 9 years older.  How did I become 69?  She looks wonderful for 60.  I look 69.  She and her husband flew down late last night and spent part of the day with Mom before flying back home.  I missed out on seeing her.  I didn't know she was coming; I knew she was going to try this week.
My sister, Janet, on a recent trip here when I did get to see her.  
Happy Birthday, Janet!
The reason I missed out is that I did not feel good today.  The current level of allergy shots I am on is giving me mild reactions.  That combined with Monday's stomach procedure, I think has worn me out.  I got up at 6:00 this morning for the allergy shots and did a few things around the house.  I took my shower and by 8:30 I was very sleepy.  I sent Ron a text and asked if it was alright for me to come in about noon.  He said it was not a problem (love being married to the boss).   I woke up at 1:10 this afternoon.  I felt much better and saw I had missed some messages inviting me to join my sister, her husband, and Mom for lunch.  It was going to be past lunch time before I got there and really did not feel like eating.  I went on to the office so Ron could go out on jobs if needed.
One square of the 80 in the quilt
During the afternoon my friend Dolores brought the quilt by that she had machine quilted for me.  You see a portion of it at the top of today's blog.  I still need to trim it and add the binding.  That will take me longer than it took her to quilt it.  I am very pleased with her work and it makes me eager to finish up some of the many projects I have on hand.  She has another one of mine that she hopes to work on next week.  I am so thankful for her help on my quilts.  Here is a photo of the entire quilt - as I said, it still needs to be trimmed and bound.
The entire quilt, or at least as much as I could get in the photo.
On the quilting, I had wanted to ask her to try to put little hearts in the red squares which symbolize the heart of the home, or the hearth of the home - the warmth.  I didn't ask because I thought it might be too much trouble.  She did it anyway without me asking.  I am so pleased.  Ron just came in and looked at it and said he really liked it.  He rarely comments on my quilts.  Dolores does all the machine quilting free hand!  I am impressed.
Note the hearts all over the quilt.
The rest of my day was spent on paper work and customers.  I had some bills to take care of and some filing to do.  Customers were mostly handled by Ron but there were several times when we both had customers to help.  After work, we met our friends for supper and had a good time catching up on what was going on with each other.
Feeding time
My hearing had been a problem this week and I realized that on Monday at the hospital in the pre-surgery area, I had changed the settings because it was so very noisy in there.  After I reset them at supper, things were better. 
Baby Golden-fronted Woodpecker
This morning before I went back to sleep I took a few photos of the baby woodpecker and this evening I took a photo of the hole from the yard, getting a better view of the entrance.  That is a bigger opening than usual.
Entrance to the nest
This evening, our son in Dallas called on his way home from work and it was good to talk to him.  I did have trouble hearing him and finally took the phone to Ron and had it on speaker and Ron could tell me what I didn't understand.  That worked, but I sure am looking forward to talking to all of them when the family gets together in a couple of weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment