Sunday, March 1, 2015

March 1, 2015

A Very Nice, but Yucky, Weekend
February 28 & March 1, 2015


This is the new hummingbird feeder I got Friday night in Harlingen. 
 It looks like a gum ball machine.

This was Charro Days weekend in Brownsville - a festival celebrating the cultures of two nations: the U.S. and Mexico.  There are parades, contests, food, dances and this weekend, chilly drizzle and light rain.  The rain and drizzle were at their worst during the Saturday afternoon parade.  What a shame.  Floats and bands come from all over South Texas and Northern Mexico and it is not easily cancelled.  So the parade went on.  Attendance was down.  Then attendance was down at church this morning with some of those who went to the parade, now being at home sick with sore throats, etc. 

Saturday morning, I slept until 9:00 and then worked cleaning in the utility room and the sewing room.  Things are more organized in the sewing room for a while.  I found a couple of projects that are closer to being complete than I realized.  I hope I can focus on them soon.

Early in the afternoon,I went to Mom's to get Mom and Carmen to come spend the afternoon.  The three of us had lunch.  Ron had gone to pick up some rocks and driftwood that a friend was giving to us.  I am eager to find spots for some of them in the yard.  There are a few more things they said we could have, if Ron has time to go get them.  After lunch, Carmen cleaned while Mom and I went to the grocery store.  We both needed to shop.  After we got the groceries, we went by her house and I took her sacks in and put the cold things away and then we came home and I unloaded mine and put mine away. 
These are pieces cut for 7 more blocks of the type I was working on last week. 
 This should give me enough for a small quilt (baby quilt or lap quilt).

After that I did some cutting of quilt pieces.  Ron got home about 5:00 and unloaded the big load he had in his Suburban.  Once that was done, the four of us went to Jason's Deli for supper and then I took Mom and Carmen home.  It was about 8:00 by the time we got home.  We were both tired.  It wasn't long before I was asleep in the recliner.

This morning, I was up early and worked in the kitchen for a while.  Then we went to Sunday School and church.  I left Sunday School a few minutes early to go pick up Mom.  She is feeling so much better!  It is good to see her doing well.  The drizzle that had hung around for several days stopped while we were at church.

In the service this morning, I was delighted to see our friends who had been a a serious auto accident in California last weekend.  They are still sore and have some healing to do, but they were there to praise God for His protection as their pickup truck was rear ended by a vehicle going 90-100 miles an hour.  Things could have been so much worse.

Also in the service was a former Principal of our church school and his family.  They now live in Wisconsin and are here for Spring Break.  Our weather is not great but it is better than the one foot of snow they left at home.  It is always good to get to see those who have moved away.  We miss them but sometimes God has other plans for them.

Following the service, Ron and I came home and I made spaghetti for lunch and it was great.  I also made some cheese biscuits that were OK, but not great - new mix I had not  tried before and won't try again.  Ron slept a while and I read a bit before starting work on  some quilts in progress.

This quilt top, I thought was finished, but decided to make it longer, so I added three rows to it today.  That makes it twin bed size.  I am making two alike and I have 1/2 of the pieces cut for the second one now. 
The sides of the quilt will be cut off straight after I put it together.
There are stacks and stacks of novelty print fabrics in my sewing room shelves and they are perfect for this type of project.  The only thing is I have to go through them all, iron them, cut what I need, and then refold them.  It is time consuming, but I enjoy the results.

After church this morning, I stopped a friend to chat with her and really had trouble hearing her.  The sound processor was picking up so much other noise.  It can be hard to be friendly.  But I was able to hear the sermon well with the transistor radio hooked to my sound processor.  I am glad I could hear it because it was very good. 

All of this mornings songs were ones that were either new or I don't know them well enough to pick out the melody.  It was all loud noise through my processor.  At least the words were on the screens so I could follow them.  There was a number by the children's choir and I could hear the soloist very well.  Then later there was a clarinet solo and I could not pick out the notes on it.

As I have mentioned before, I have always loved music.  I really miss it, but for several years, I had not been listening to much since my hearing had been bad before the complete hearing loss.  I know I mention it here often, but I really don't focus on it on a daily basis.  There are times such as prior to Christmas when I would have loved to put on a Christmas CD, but it just is not possible at this time to hear it well enough to enjoy it.

It has been a good, productive weekend in spite of the Yucky weather.  I can't believe it is March and that in a few hours it will be Monday!  Another work week!

No comments:

Post a Comment