Wednesday, March 4, 2015

March 4, 2015

Windy Wednesday
March 4, 2015


Man from P.U.B. trimming tree that was up in the midst of the power lines.

Sometimes I used to think I would have liked to be a meteorologist.  We love "weather" in our family.  We love thunder storms, (I love to listen and now I can hear them again), we love rain storms with lightening, we like watching a tropical storm (not wild about hurricanes, but interested in what they do), and I could go on and on.  Today we had strong southerly winds again.  I have noticed that my blog titles the last few days have been weather reports.  Some days that is the only really interesting thing going on.  Also, the last couple of weeks, our weather has made a lot of changes.

The trees are leafing out in beautiful shades of green leaves and my amaryllis plants have buds on them.  Yet, before morning, we may get one of the coldest storms of the winter season.  Currently it is 73 degrees at 8:30 in the evening. By 7:00 tomorrow morning it should be 35 degrees and winds of 25-35 mph, a 60% chance of rain, all creating a wind chill of 24 degrees.  You know this is a severe storm when the weather channel is actually covering the weather! 

This morning, I overslept and Ron left for work letting me sleep.  Once I got up, I got ready for work, cleaned the kitchen, started the dishwasher and headed to the office.  I spent the morning taking care of some shop chores.  I helped Ron fill some key hooks, I took care of some paperwork, and did a little cleaning. 
The sewing area in my office.
After lunch Ron left on a job to be gone the rest of the day.  While he was gone, I did a little more cleaning and then worked on a little doll quilt one of our granddaughters had made.  She had just layered some fabrics and sewn around the pieces.  I love the way she is not intimidated by the sewing machine or "rules" of how you have to do things.
One side of my granddaughter's doll quilt.
Recently she found a little spot where she could stick her finger through from one side of her little quilt to the other.  So I worked on the quilt and fixed that spot as well as a few others.  I hope she won't mind that I did more than asked. 

The other side
I sewed for a couple of hours.  I was able to finish seven quilt blocks that I had cut out a couple of days ago. A few of those quilt squares are included here.
The seven squares I finished this afternoon
Later I started cutting out pieces for the quilt I was working on last night.  A customer came in and after I made his keys he asked what time we closed.  I told him 5:15, and he said he was glad he made it.  I looked at the clock and it was 5:20. 

Tree trimmer at work - he is in the middle of all the palm fronds up there.
As the customer left, a P.U.B. truck arrived and asked if we had called about a tree that needed to be trimmed.  We had not.  I locked up the office and went to the alley and we agreed that a palm tree could be a problem with the power lines.  The problem now is, I don't think they trimmed enough.  With all of that, it was 5:45 before I left the office.  Ron had finally finished his job up the valley and was headed to him mom's house to fix her TV and her heater.  A man from our church has been working on installing a wall heater for a long time and is trying to finish it tonight before this cold front arrives.
One of my quilt squares
While Ron was at his mom's, I went by my mom's.  No one was home and I remembered she had mentioned visiting a neighbor who had lost her sister last week to Alzheimer's.  Sure enough, she and Carmen were over there and Carmen had spotted me about the time I was going to leave.  They came home and Mom wanted to go get some groceries.  I needed a few things, too, so we went to the H.E.B. near her house and each did our shopping; each ending up with a rotisserie chicken for supper.

Once I returned Mom to her house and took in her groceries it was getting to be about 7:00.  By the time I got home, brought my groceries in and put them away, checked the mail, brought in my hanging plants, etc. it was 7:30 and I was ready to have some supper.  I was glad to have the chicken so I didn't have to cook.  The weather men don't predict a freeze, but they have not been too accurate this winter and the hanging plants don't need to be blown around all day tomorrow.  Our Wind Chill Warning is from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

2 comments:

  1. Five inches of beautiful snow in Clarendon yesterday. Snowed all day! Barbara and I made quilted pillow shams for her bed....schoolhouse quilt. Roads are still iced over although the sun is out. TXDOT is still advising everyone to stay put!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are loving it. Stay put and enjoy the view.

      Delete