Tuesday, March 17, 2015

March 16, 2015

Cochlear Challenges Continue
March 16, 2015

Mom's Amaryllis bloomed before mine this year

Don't ever think after reading one of my blogs about my Cochlear Implant, that I am not happy with it.  I am so very thankful that a way was paved for me to get this amazing device.  From being deaf to being able to hear so many wonder sounds that are around us daily, is nothing short of a miracle.  I know the device was invented by men, but their talents are God-given whether they know it or not.  They studied hard, worked long hours, thought "outside of the box" and came up with an awesome medical device to change lives.  I am thankful for their hard work.

The birthday boy
There are however challenges frequently.  I had one of those magnetic moments yesterday on a rainy morning.  We were going to our son's home for a birthday breakfast for one of his sons.  It was raining.  I had my purse, my camera (never leave home without it), and some gift bags.  Then I added my umbrella.  I was not long before I had rested the umbrella against my shoulder and as often happens, the magnet holding the Cochlear coil leading to the sound processor in place, jumped off my head and attached to the umbrella ribs.  So there I stood in the rain, hands very full and hearing processor dangling from the umbrella.  I managed to pull it off and stuff it in my purse until I was in the house.  Everyone was greeting me at the door and I couldn't hear a word being said until I put the sound processor back where it belonged.
Fun times ahead!

We had a delicious breakfast with all the trimmings for the kids' pancakes that they would have had at IHOP.  There was of course butter and syrup to put on the choice of regular pancakes or chocolate chip ones.  There were yogurt tubes, banana slices, strawberries, and whipped cream.  Sausage rounded out the celebration meal.
 The little boys with their pillows
Gifts were opened after breakfast except for the one he got before I arrived: a new, flashy bicycle!  Most of the gifts opened after breakfast were the Legos he requested.  His oldest sister gave him the pillow she had made for him at my house about 10 days ago (and also presented the youngest brother with his).  It was a delightful morning.
 Several of the children with their other grandmother
After the festivities, I returned to the house to get a lunch and to  look for a set of keys I couldn't account for.  I found them later in the tote bag I take to church.  I arrived at the office about 10:00 and took care of a few items on my desk and helped with customers.

The previous day Mom had mentioned the possibility of going to a Day and Night Clinic for a lab test she needed.  Around 2:00, I went to her house and asked if she wanted to go then.  She did, so she got ready and I took her to the clinic.  Her doctor does not do lab tests on site at his office, so this seemed like a good solution.  I dropped her off and went to the post office to mail a packet for her.  

Back at the clinic, we had a long wait ahead.  It was after 5:00 when we left with news that the lab test was fine, but the doctor added a prescription for an ingredient that had been in a medication she is no longer taking.  I think we are back on track now for a great recovery - just may take a little time.  We continue to thank God for leading us to Carmen to help Mom during this time.  They have a very good relationship and Carmen is so very kind and loving in her care of Mom.  What a wonderful blessing.

As I left Mom's house to return to the office to put my things away and get my briefcase and tote bag, I had a text from my sister wondering where Mom was.  I pulled over to read the text as is not only the law, but a wise thing to do.  So I sent a quick answer telling her I would get back to her, but all was well.

At the office I took care of the things I needed to do and then went to leave Mom's new prescription at Pharmacy and meet Ron for supper.  On the way to supper, I plugged in the personal audio cable from the Cochlear sound processor to my cell phone and called my sister to update her.  I have so much trouble talking on the phone, but do a little better with the cable attached to the cell phone.  It is just not convenient.  I have to get the cord out of a special bag in my purse and then take the processor off to plug the cord into it and into the phone; but it helps.

After we ate, Ron returned to the office to finish the inventory and I went to pick up Mom's medication and deliver it to her.  I got a couple of things for me while there. 

Mom was feeling a little better and was working on a project at the counter in the kitchen.  It is always good to see her doing the normal things she wants to do.  This "normal" thing, was fixing a photo of a great grandchild to go on her refrigerator.  She does love her family!  While at her house we watched a pair of wrens hop all over the deck as they worked on a nest in that area.  They are so fast I find them hard to photograph, but they are fun to watch.

During the evening, I did a little cleaning and talked to our son and daughter-in-law in New Mexico.  It had been a few days since we had chatted and it was good to catch up.  It was a long, busy day, but a very good one, from the morning celebration and good lab results for Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment