Saturday, November 29, 2014

November 28, 2014

Sounds I Love to Hear
November 28, 2014


Everyone has particular sounds they love to hear.  Maybe at the top of many lists would be the three words, "I love you."  I decided to share some sounds from this day that I am delighted that I could hear, thanks to my Cochlear Implant.
.
1.  "Grandma, is there something I could do to help?"
2.  "Grandma, I am so glad I could come to your house."
3.  "Where is Grandpa?"  (Still sleeping.)
4.  The hum of the sewing machine being used for hours by a 9 year old.
5.  "Grandma, look what I made for Sarah!"
6.  The giggles of sisters snuggling on the couch together.
7.  "Grandma, where did this Christmas ornament come from?"
8.  "Do we have to go home already?"
9.  "Grandma, I liked seeing that big bird come into the yard this morning.  He had long black legs."

I told her she was like a kitten, curled up, sleeping in the sunshine.

Jeff and Barb's oldest girls came home with us after Thanksgiving evening to spend the night and the next day.  They watch very little television at their home - only select videos, so they enjoyed watching Christmas movies at our house all day.  They slept until about 9:00.  The oldest one helped me make pancakes for breakfast. 

Once the breakfast dishes were cleared, the younger one sat at the sewing machine, ready to start her creative juices flowing.  She is 9 years old.  When I first started letting her use my sewing machine, I was not sure she would ever master it.  Now, she can't wait to start sewing when she is here.  She knows where the scrap boxes are and starts digging through them to find treasures for the new ideas in her mind.  She loves making accessories for the Beanie Babies on my shelves.  This time, the flamingo got a purse, hat, and scarf, as well as a tiny book.  Today was her little sister's birthday, so she took an assortment of accessories to her for use with her dolls.  She worked on Christmas tree ornaments and learned to use the decorative stitches to embellish some of them.

The girls rearranged the furniture for me so there would be room for the tree.  I asked what the traditional Christmas colors are and they said, "Red and green."  I told them to look out the window where the tree would soon block the view and showed them that those colors were already decorating that view.
 
Ron got out the Christmas tree for the sewing room and the older one set it up and put the chains on it while her sister arranged the Christmas tree skirt around the tree.
Soon the decorating was in full swing.
They worked together getting the decorations on the tree and the boxes moved out of the sewing room when they were finished.
By the time the tree was done, it was time for lunch.  As soon as lunch was finished they returned to the sewing room where they spent the rest of the day sewing and watching Christmas movies.  It was a fun day.
Just before dark, I took them home and went in to visit for a bit and get a photo of the birthday girl.  She turned 3 years old today!  My, my, how the years are flying by!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment