Saturday, November 22, 2014

November 22, 2014

A Quiet Day, But Not Silent
November 22, 2014

Note the sunbeam in the center of the lower part of the photo.  It was so pretty.
There are words that have double meanings, such as the word quiet.  It can mean silent, or it can mean relaxing, uneventful, or calm.  Since going deaf, if I use the word quiet, as in the title for today's blog, I can't help but be thankful that my world is not silent.  If I take my sound processor off, things do get silent, but only until I put my sound processor back on.

Yesterday when I was leaving the orthopedic surgeon's office, I stopped at the desk and the surgeon's wife was working there.  I really like this sweet lady.  I don't know her well, but she is very kind, helpful, and friendly.  She told me yesterday that a friend of hers had just had a Cochlear Implant and that it had not yet been turned on.  I gave her a card with my blog information on it and told her that maybe while the friend was living in a silent world, she would like to do some reading.  She said the friend has hearing in her other ear so is not in a silent world.  Wow!  That would be nice.  My hearing in the ear that did not have surgery is almost non-existent. 

Today, I could hear when I wore my sound processor, but it was still a quiet day.  I was up early because Ron wasn't.  One of us had to let the housekeeper in when she arrived.  He was not feeling good and has apparently caught a "bug".  I worked for a while gathering laundry and getting it going in the washer and dryer; working in the yard on the ponds and bird feeders and birdbaths; cleaning up and putting away the things I did not use for the Operation Christmas Child boxes; and then deciding I needed to go to the grocery store.

Just before I left for my shopping, I told the housekeeper that I hoped I didn't see anyone I knew because my hair was a mess.  You know what happens when you say something like that?  You run into not one person you know, but two!  Both were friends since junior high or high  school, and it was nice to chat with both of them.  One reads my blog regularly and the other is a Facebook friend and we enjoy keeping up with what is going on in each other's lives.  She shared that she would be singing in a trio in a couple of weeks at her church and they will be singing one of the most awesome songs ever written as far as I am concerned, Mary Did You Know? by Mark Lowry.   The first time I heard it, tears ran down my face and I thought, "That is now my favorite Christmas song."  If you have never heard it, you might like to do a Google search and find a recording of it. 

When I got home the housekeeper had finished and left.  Ron was up, but not feeling better.  I put things away and read for a while.  I napped for a while and read.  I fixed a late lunch for us and finished the laundry.  I watched the birds in the yard and three Green Jays visited the feeders but my camera was not close by at the time.  It really was a quiet day and I think we both needed it.  Ron got someone else to teach the Sunday School class for him tomorrow and has again gone to bed.  I am not sure if I will make it there or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment