Sunday, October 25, 2015

October 23, 2015

Get Out the Sandbags!
Patricia is Coming!
October 23, 2015

The day brought gray skies and patches of blue.
I was up very early Friday and did a few things at the house before I went to the office.  Ron had a job he had to go on, but I didn't know about it.  When I got to the office, it was locked with a "Be Back in 1 Hour" sign on the door.  I got to work and he returned in a while. 
It was dark outside much of the day
Ron was leaving at noon to go to Corpus Christi for the weekend for a flight certification class.  As a private pilot and instructor, he has to have the classes for a weekend every two years.  This was the weekend.  The sad thing is that the plans must be made months in advance and  there are few offered anywhere near us.  When he made the arrangements for this class, we had no idea it would be a major rainstorm weekend. 
Puddles formed, but there was no flooding
Before he left, he sandbagged the front door to the office and got the bags out for me to put on the side door when I locked up at the end of the day.  When he left, he had several errands to run in town and then had a job to do in Harlingen before leaving for Corpus.  It was 5:30 or so before he got finished there to leave. 
As I left the office, they were getting ready for the Friday 
night football game behind our office at Sam's Stadium.
We had rain off and on all day and it was heavier up toward Corpus.  As I mentioned a day or two ago, there were two systems that were bringing all the rain to Texas.  One was a cool front heading our way and the other was Hurricane Patricia in the Pacific heading toward Mexico and then Texas, with huge amounts of moisture.
The sky continued to darken
Once Ron left, I started cleaning and spent much of the afternoon cleaning our workbenches.  Then I swept the floors and straightened several items.  I filled key hooks and put away boxes of key blanks.  That kept me busy almost all afternoon.  There were few customers our on a rainy Friday afternoon, so I got a lot done.
After supper, part of the sky was clear (see the moon upper left)?
The sky was dark to the south and the clouds moved rapidly.
At the end of the day, I sandbagged the side door and then went to meet my mother and my brother-in-law for supper at Jason's Deli.  We had a very good supper and a nice visit. 
Leaving Jason's Deli, the sky darkened and the rain started.
At home, I relaxed and read a bit before doing some cutting of fabric for the quilt in progress.  It was a relaxing evening after a hectic day.
This was a good evening to be at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment