Sunday, October 11, 2015

October 11, 2015

Happy Birthday to Ron's Mom!
October 11, 2015


Ron's mother at 91 years old
 
This morning, Ron let me sleep too late!  I try to get up no later than 7:00 on Sundays and I woke up at 8:00.  We were only a couple of minutes late for Sunday School, but I try not to do that.  At least I was not as sleepy as usual.  We had a great class with 23 out of 27 members present - not bad for us old folks! 
Amaryllis plants in bloom
 
I left class early to pick up my mom and she was ready even though I was about 10 minutes ahead of time.  The church service was very good.  There were several new faces in the crowd and at the end of the service we welcomed 4 new members.  The pastor brought a good sermon on prayer. 
 Bachelor Buttons blooming

The pastor mentioned that our church has started a new mission here in town and it was meeting today for the first time.  The church is also helping a young pastor in Nepal who will lead the church that just started when our mission teams were in Nepal in August and September.  God is working.
Ron's mom admiring one of the gifts from Bob and Vickey
 
After the service, Ron and I picked up lunch at Kentucky Fried Chicken (chicken pot pies) and took them to his mom's house to have lunch with her for the 91st birthday. 
 Cosmos

Ron's mom has a lot of pain in her back and knees, but her mind is as sharp as can be.  She reads a lot and still does a lot of handwork, but is slowing down some on that due to pain in her hands. 
 
 Zinnias

Just as we finished lunch, our friends the Lawlers arrived with a beautiful potted plant for her.  She was delighted.  We also had some gifts for her from Bob and Vickey for her birthday and she was very pleased with their choices. 
Potted chrysanthemums brought for Ron's mom by our friends
 
Hummingbirds were very active outside her living room window and we refilled the feeder.  I took photos in the yard of her flowers and the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.
 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 
Some of the plants here are thinking it is spring.  Many are flowering after the good recent rains.  Her Golden Shower tree has bloomed for months now. 
Golden Shower tree
 
Several of the wildflowers that bloom in the spring are blooming now, as well as Cosmos, Old-fashioned Bachelor Buttons, Amaryllis, Zinnias, and several shrubs.
Vinca
 
When we got home from that visit, I curled up in the recliner and slept for a couple of hours and then read for a bit before going to get some groceries.  It was my first trip to the store since we got home from our trip and I was out of lots of things.
Zinnia
 
While I was at the store, Ron was at a church school board meeting.  He was home in time to unload my groceries and for that I was thankful.  It was a good day and we enjoyed some time for us to talk.  We get so busy! 
Indian Blanket

No comments:

Post a Comment