Saturday, May 2, 2015

May 2, 2015

Two Quilt Tops and Backings
Delivered to the Quilter
May 2, 2015



One of the quilt tops.  About 43"x 82"
Just right for a bunk bed
Finally I finished the back for the second quilt that I have been working on and was able to take them to the quilt shop in Harlingen where they will be machine quilted.  I can't do much hand quilting anymore.  It is too hard on my hands and too time consuming.  These quilts are for our two youngest grandsons and will get a lot of rough usage and the machine quilting will serve them well.  I can't believe the relief I felt once I had delivered them.
Close up of a section of the quilt top
When I am sewing and making quilts, there is usually no one except me, who is putting pressure on me to finish.  I push myself sometimes and sometimes I don't push myself enough.  But, driving home from Harlingen this afternoon, I began to wonder what I would work on next.  I think I have just decided.  You will see photos when I get to working on it again.  This is one I had been working on last summer and had to set aside for some other projects.  It is time to get back to it. 

My housekeeper was not available today so I was able to sleep late and do what I wanted this morning.  I spent some time in the yard taking care of feeding the birds.  Then after writing yesterday's blog, I started sewing.  I finished the backing about noon and showered and washed my hair before going to Harlingen.  I had considered doing some shopping while I was there, but decided not to. 

I picked up lunch on the way home.  I got a chopped Bar-B-Que burger at the Longhorn Cattle Company in San Benito.  Wow!  It was so good.  Yummy!  I had not had breakfast or lunch and it was about 2:30.  Of course at that point, cardboard might have tasted good. 
Today's birdwatching was out the window and  this  female 
Golden- Fronted Woodpecker was glad I put out some oranges
At home I relaxed for a while and that became boring.  So I made a few of the string pieced quilt blocks and now have 30 made.  I don't have a goal in mind.  For now I will just keep making them.  Then I decided it was time to mow the back yard.  Ron had been on a job and got home about the time I was ready to mow.  He worked on clearing out a mess of over growth by the driveway while I mowed.  The yard looks nice.  Then I potted a plant I bought last week and watered some things.  It has been a while since we really needed to water things in the yard.  I filled the bird feeders and fountains.  The birds were busy in the yard most of the day. 
My 30 string quilt blocks

Much of the day, being alone, I left my Cochlear sound processor off.  In case you have wondered, I still hear the music.  I tried to sing some of the hymns on the way home from Harlingen.  Better get some sleep so I can be alert in church tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment