Wednesday, September 16, 2015

September 15, 2015

My Morning at the Doctor's Office
September 15, 2015

Sparrow patiently waiting for a spot at the feeder
It was not in my plans to spend most of the morning at the doctor's office.  I had expected to be able to go it at 8:30, take my shot and be at my office by 9:30 so Ron could go on the job he had promised.  I let them know I was there at 8:30 and sat down to read my book. 

When at 10:00 after they started calling in people who came after I did, I asked if I had misunderstood something.  The nice young man said, "Oh, have they not called you in?"  I said no.  A minute or two later I was called in.  A nurse took me to a room, watched while I gave myself the shots, and came back to check on me about every 5 minutes.  I left at 10:45.  That was not at all how I had expected my morning to go. 

There was no noticeable reaction to the lowered dosage of the allergy medication.  I had taken Benadryl before I went to the doctor's office.  There was slight itching but no hives.  I did fine until late afternoon when I was hit by stomach cramps and diarrhea.  That lasted for a few hours.  Wisdom is needed for me to know what to do on the shots.  I am praying, asking God to let me know what I should do.  

As soon as I got to the office, Ron left on his job.  It was raining a little off and on while he was gone, so it was quiet at the office.  I continued sorting a pile of papers on my desk.  Progress.  I really wanted to sew, but there is just so much that has piled up on my desk over the last few months.  It just seems that it has been a very busy time outside the office.
This young female Golden-fronted Woodpecker comes often.
Ron was gone for a couple of hours.  After he came back I put my head on my desk and napped a little since the Benadryl I took prior to my shots was getting to me.  I left about 4:00 and came home to get ready for the quilt group.  I had a few things I needed to pick up and straighten. 

Four of the ladies came for quilting and with the smaller group, I was better able to hear.  At one point they asked me if I could hear the rain.  No.  Over the conversations I could not hear it, but I went into another  room and could hear that it was a heavy rain.  We cut the meeting just a little short when the rain let up, so they could head home between showers.

During the quilting time, I worked with Carmen on the quilt she is making.  She is enjoying the process, but looked tired last night.  Mom had not come because she was too tired.  She was napping.  We had a good time visiting among the five of us. 

Before the ladies came, I took a few bird photos.  There were a lot of sparrows in the yard, but not a lot of other birds.  There had been a heavy rain at the house during the day.  Both yesterday and today, the shop had light showers, while the house had downpours.  The backyard is soggy.  Taking care of feeders and birdbaths, I come in with muddy shoes.

It was late by the time my stomach settled enough for me to go to sleep but that is why again, the blog is delayed.  Since I am writing this Wednesday morning, I will say I woke with scratch marks all over the area where I had the reaction from Friday's shot.  I guess it was itching during the night.

Ever since I got my Cochlear implant, Ron has changed the filters on the sound processor.  They are to be done every 2 to 3 months.  I have been asking him to do them lately, but he had been too busy and would forget about it.  I did them myself with some difficulty, a couple of days ago and it has helped the sound quality. 
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  
Several of the have been around, but sure are fast! 
When I recently listened to Rush Limbaugh talk about his Cochlear Implants, I was again reminded at how much better off I am than many are who have them.  But one thing he said was how he had to be "in someone's face" to hear them well.  That is why I do well with customers at work as long as the machines aren't going.  When I am waiting on a customer, I am face to face with them across a counter and that is what I need.


  1. Glad the lower dose didn't cause the harsh reaction. Maybe it will get better as time goes by and if they don't increase the dosage so fast. I think you and I need to go on a quilting retreat away from all these doctors!

    1. Tiny, that is the best idea I have heard in a while! I need that kind of break!