Thursday, April 9, 2015

April 9, 2015

Another Productive Day - 
In Some Areas
April 9, 2015



This morning was allergy shot day.  Ron got me up a little after 6:00 to do the shots and after that I had breakfast, read a while and worked some in the kitchen.  I got to the office about 10:00.  Ron and I stayed busy with customers.  He left about 12:00 to go up the valley on a job.  I was swamped all afternoon.  For well over an hour I did not sit down once.  It was one customer after another.  That is good for the business, but I was ready for a brief break at least.

I did not have a lot of time to talk to customers except for two men who are here in town to see about community development ideas.  They were interesting.  When things slowed down I decided I could get out the sewing things I have been hauling back and forth to the office all week without having worked on them until today.  I got all set up to sew and found that my patterns weren't in the tote bags with the fabric. 

Sometimes when it is slow at the office, I look at quilt patterns on line and watch videos about making quilts.  There are now so many tutorials on line that I could spend the rest of my life just watching all of them.  Naturally, I could not find two particular ones I was looking for so that I could try them.  I will keep looking.  I had recently ordered the tools to try out one block and after supper this evening I worked with it.  I completed one block.

Then I made sections for two more blocks and have partially finished sections for two  more blocks.  It is quick and easy, but...  There is too often a "but"...   The "but" in this one is that the sides of the block are on the bias and that is harder to keep even and perfectly flat.  It is a fun one to make and I will make some more blocks for it.  I think I will do them all in jewel tones.  Wonder how they would look against black???  Hmmmm...

We met our friends the Lawlers for supper and it was very good.  We had a good visit, but for as empty as this building is, I still have a little trouble hearing.  I think the TV that they have playing is most of the problem.  Also a man was mowing and edging right outside the door and that noise carried.  We had a good time though.  Just before we left, I had started to scoot my chair back and one leg broke.  I came very close to being spilled all over their tile floor.  It looked to me like the leg had been repaired once.  It was wood and there was a wooden dowel up the center of the leg and that had splintered, but the rest of the leg was smooth.  So glad I was able to catch myself.

At home I spent the rest of the evening at the sewing machine and on the phone talking to our daughter-in-law, Vickey.  We had not chatted for a while.  She is staying busy with projects and hobbies.  We are blessed with such amazing girls in the family - all carefully selected by our sons.  They have made good choices. 

I did see a little warbler on the waterfall this morning but it was too dark to get a good photo.  I hope to see him tomorrow. 

5 comments:

  1. Are these from Jenny Doan? What are they called so I can pull them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones with the white background are from Jenny. They are mini wacky web. She had the papers for them on her daily deal about a week or two ago and I ordered them and the template. Template called Mini Wacky Web Template. There is a larger size and I think if I was going to make a quilt I would buy the larger size. I can not remember who I got the strip star from. I will see if I can find the tutorial on it and let you know. Very easy and fun. Would be a good granddaughter project for you or me.

      Delete
    2. That wacky web might be a good way to use the feedsack instead of tumbler like I was thinking. It would showcase the prints more. Oh, dear....another project I want to do!

      Delete
  2. Found a free paper piecing pattering at sewhooked.com for what they call the Arkansas snowflake that looks just like the wacky web or periwinkle block. It can be enlarged for any size. Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I still can't find the original posting I had on the string pieced star, but it is in the book String Quilt Revival with the star in black and bold colors around it.

    ReplyDelete