Wednesday, April 8, 2015

April 8, 2015

Good Days Are Nice
April 8, 2015


All of our hibiscus plants are outdoing themselves this season.

The title of this blog tonight seems simplistic.  Sure, it is nice to have a good day.  The emotional feelings that go along with feeling like all is right with the world, are amazing.  I have mentioned before how one person saying something unkind can just ruin your day.  It can also be true that someone saying something nice to you can go a long way to helping you have a good day. 

Once I got to the office, Ron left on jobs for several hours.  I had one older gentleman who came in and asked about getting locks keyed alike.  I explained what was involved and what would be the cheapest way for him to do it.  As I explained, he had this look of surprise on his face that conveyed that he was so pleased I took his expense into consideration.  Just before he left, he took my hand in both of his and just said, "I appreciate that so much.  That helps a lot."

Later another older man came in with two adult sons (or grandsons).  They were selecting an expensive item.  We talked about the various options and he and his sons finally made a decision.  All of them were so polite and nice in their dealings.  I asked about his business and it is in Mexico, but he has moved his family here to keep them safe from the violence in Mexico.  We talked about that for a while.  He opened his business in Mexico the year I was born.  He is so sad to see the way his country has gone to such violence.  But he was so glad our business has supplied many of his needs over the years.  He also took my hand to hold it and thank me for helping him.

Another older man in very poor health, came in with a caregiver and although he could hardly walk, he was hurrying across the showroom with a grin from ear to ear and said, "I am so glad your business is still here.  I knew your Dad and your Grand Dad.  I have come here many times."  After he made his purchase, he had to sit and rest before he had the strength to go out the door.

Sometimes I know I sound like a broken record, but I love to be able to HEAR my customers and to carry on conversations with them.  Some are in a hurry and not interested in chatting.  Some don't speak the same language I do, but many want to stay and chat.  Some grew up coming to our business with their dads when they were little.  They love the nostalgia in the place.  Very little changes in our shop.  Some like that.  I suspect that others wish we would spruce it up, but it is what it is - a workshop where things are repaired.  It is rarely "clean" and sparkling.  Lots of times I wish it was.  But we have been around since the 1930s and a lot of people depend on us.

Another customer today had come in while Ron was helping someone else and he asked me to wait on her.  She is a realtor and comes in for keys often.  She had wanted some work done at her home and Ron had been busy and it was 2 or 3 weeks before he got around to it.  He had done it last week and I was prepared to hear her tell me how long she had to wait for him to do the work.  Instead, she said, "He is so good.  He is an expert.  My son was so impressed."  I apologized that it had taken so long for him to get to her job, but she just brushed my remark aside and said, "He is an expert.  I don't want anyone else to do the work."  
 This little bird bath is a gift from Ron's sister and her husband for our upcoming 50th anniversary in two months.  They were in town recently but won't be in town this summer, so they gave us the gift now.  I know our birds will enjoy it and I will enjoy taking photos of them enjoying it.

In between helping customers, I worked on my bookkeeping.  There seems to always be something to do with that.  I needed to back up the books for the end of March now that all was complete.  I also spent time downloading the report from the company that handles our credit card sales.  I had to study their report with two pages of small print concerning banking changes coming in the next few days and  months.  Then I matched up receipts to credit card bills for our office.  With each item completed, a few more things could move from my desk to the file cabinet.

After work, I went by Mom's house.  She had been resting after attending a 60th anniversary celebration of our church school.  Many years ago, she taught in the school and was director/principal for a while.  She was delighted to be invited to the program this afternoon and a groundbreaking for a new gym that will be built in stages which later will include classroom, cafeteria, etc.  We visited a while before I left to pick up a few groceries for us and I got home about 7:15.

Ron has not felt well all day so he was already asleep when I got home.  I hope he is feeling better tomorrow morning.  He has promised a couple of jobs up the valley.

 These last two photos are from Mom's house; 
the rest from our yard this morning. 
 I love Spring!

2 comments:

  1. Your flowers inspire me! Bought some pots, soil, geraniums and petunias to go on the deck. Need you to help me plant them! Hope Ron feels better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bag of soil and some pots, but need a few more plants. I am having to water them now that it is not raining every day. Ron is a little better. Very windy today and I think it is bothering our allergies. Wish we were potting our flowering plants together. Miss you.

      Delete