Thursday, January 29, 2015

January 28, 2015

  A Beautiful Ending
 to a Productive Day
January 28, 2015



Since I had been unable to get to sleep easily after that nap the day before, (didn't get to sleep until after 3:00 a.m.) it was hard to get up this morning.  Once I was up, I got a lot done before going to the office.  I got some cleaning done and some drawers organized.  I am a pack rat!  I married a pack rat!  We won't end up on Hoarders (the television show) yet - at least at the house.  The warehouse at the office is another story all together.  I found so many non-working watches.  What am I doing with them?  A couple of them I didn't remember, but many (as our youngest granddaughter would say) are "my favorites."  I find it difficult to find the style of watches I like in my price range.  I don't like the big ones.  So I save the non-working small ones.  I can see by this paragraph why I am a pack rat.  I get sidetracked and put too much thought into the non-functioning things in my life.  I need to enjoy the things that work.  Maybe I will make myself a poster that says that.   See, there I go again on a rabbit trail!
At the office I also tackled some problem areas.  I have misplaced something so I spent some time looking.  Still looking; but again, some things got organized in the process.  Ron was out for a while during the morning and that always allows me to do some cleaning.  I shredded old files until the big trash can in the back was full and moved on to other activities. 
Another office machine has died.  Our fax machine.  We can get faxes through our printers (as soon as we figure out how).  Ron always forwarded phone calls to his cell phone, through the fax machine.  Now he has not been forwarding them.  I actually had to answer the phone a couple of times yesterday and managed to handle them.  They were not complex; "No, we don't want what you are selling."  In my spare time I guess I need to look for a new fax machine.  OK, if you are keeping count, it is 3 printers, two computers, one fax machine, the a/c, (all in the last few months) ...the mechanical gremlins are still at work. 

My afternoon was spent with a bit of frustration as I worked on the other bookkeeping program in my computer - my checkbook.  I had to do it like the other one, although this one was backed up through November (the old computer died in early December).  So I had all the checks to enter and bank statements to balance from November on.  I normally write very few checks.  Not so this year.  With Stephen's wedding and a lot of travel, and Christmas shopping, it took a while to get them all entered. 

When I finished entering all the information, and balancing the statements, I printed out a tax list for Ron to have when he does the taxes: charitable contributions, doctor and drug expenses, etc.  All went well.  Then I went back to the check register and it had rearranged the entire register into categories: all checks to one business or one person in order.  Yikes!  As I have said, I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble.  It had arranged all checks since 2006 in that fashion.  After trying for a while and being afraid I would make things worse, I asked my husband for help.  I did not take him too long to find the right button to push and all was well.  Oh, my.  What would I do without him? 

By the time I had done all of that, my head was aching and it was past time to go home.  I put things away and went by Mom's house.  She had been resting, but I got her up and we visited for a while.  She and her computer are now getting along well with each other.  When I got in the car to leave, I could see that the sunset was lovely.  I honked the horn as Mom was closing her front door and walked her out to the side of her house to see the magnificent sunset that was just getting more and more beautiful.  We enjoyed God's handiwork and of course, this was the one day I had left my camera at the house.

As I drove down the street from Mom's house, the colors of the sunset were getting more and more vivid and intense.  I pulled over and got out my cell phone and took some photos.  They don't begin to do justice to the beauty of the evening, but I have shared a few here.
There just was not a place to get a photo to capture all of the beauty.  Then on Facebook later, I saw that the television station had posted a shot from their weather "eye in the sky" and they came close to getting it.  You might see if channel 5 KRGV has it on their website.
If I had my camera with me, I probably would have run the battery down taking as many as possible because every few seconds, it changed.  "Thank you, God, for having me leave Mom's at just the right time.  Thank you for the beauty that so many people saw."  The Bible tells us that God reveals himself in his handiwork and even those who have not heard of Him through the scriptures, can know Him. 

The rest of my evening was spent fixing supper which I enjoyed with my husband, and doing a little cleaning in the sewing room. 


No comments:

Post a Comment