Tuesday, January 27, 2015

January 27, 2015

Another Day And A New
 Computer Challenge
January 27, 2015



My plan was to be up at 6:00 this morning.  Instead, I was up at 7:00 and I don't know why.  My vibrating alarm clock is the WORST designed alarm clock I have encountered.  The button to turn the alarm OFF is small and in the midst of other buttons.  I guess I accidentally turned it off instead of hitting the snooze alarm.  I quickly got ready, washing and drying my hair and arriving at Mom's at 8:00.  Sitting in the car, before going in I saw I had an email from her after I had gone to sleep last night saying the Geek Squad guy would arrive at 10:30 (not somewhere between 8:00 and noon he said earlier).

Inside, Mom was still sleeping, but Carmen was up and dressed.  I spent time cleaning the window that I take photos from and filling the feeders.  Carmen would have done it, but it was so pretty outside, I was glad to be out in the sunshine.  I finished cutting back the rose bushes that I worked on a few weeks ago.  While waiting, I took a few bird photos and read for a while.  Mom came in later and said I should have gotten her up, but I told her that she sent her email to me after I was asleep last night so I decided to let her sleep.

The expected man from the Geek Squad did not come, but a little after 10:30, two men came and set up a connection so he could work remotely.  He had claimed he had done everything on his original trip, but spent the first 20 minutes downloading needed items and setting up things that should have been done on the first trip.  He also got Mom's printer working with the computer which he had not done on the first trip.  Later, working with him on the phone, he solved most of her problems and I think she reached a saturation point and asked if she could call back if she had additional questions.  He said yes.

The only real problem in dealing with the Geek Squad man on the phone is that I could not hear.  I had gone over to Mom's to help listen to him in person - not on the phone.  I needed to ask one question in particular about her computer, and tried to talk to him on the phone but just could not hear him at all - well maybe 10%.  We did get an answer, but I really can't deal with the phone in situations like that.

It was noon when I left her house.  I picked up lunch for Ron and me to share and then went to the office.  It turned out to be a slow day with some crazy customers.  One brought in just the top of a broken key and wanted a copy.  Ron asked where the rest of the key was.  She said she didn't have it.  He said he needed the part with the cuts to make her a new one.  She told him she thought he was a locksmith.  (Yes, he could probably make her a new key from the LOCK, but not from the head of the broken key.)  That is when I want to break the top off a key and hand it to them and say, "Here is one just like yours."  But I don't.  I try to be nice.  Sometimes it is hard.


I went down town for a while to get some fabric to make some more of the scarves like I made in Santa's workshop.  I got my car washed while I was out and then returned to the office.  Ron had to pick up prescriptions for his mom so I had him pick up one for me at the same time.  I spent the rest of the afternoon working on the computer on assorted chores and still trying to learn how to use my new one properly.

About 4:30 I left to come home.  I fixed a delicious ham sandwich for supper, sat down to read, fell asleep and slept for 2 hours.  What a day.  I have been cleaning a little at a time, somethings it is just things like my purse or tote bag.  They get so cluttered and heavy.

My mother-in-law does the most amazing handwork.  She had Ron bring me this bookmark this week.  She knows what I love: butterflies, bluebonnets, birds, and sewing.  She designs so many of her own patterns and I will enjoy using this bookmark.  I do have two Kindles, but a mountain of paperback books I have not yet read.  I appreciate her thoughtfulness.  She is a very kind, talented lady.


No comments:

Post a Comment