Saturday, January 24, 2015

January 24, 2015

Very Nice Saturday
January 24, 2015


American Coot
I was up by 6:45 and soon fixed my breakfast.  Ron was gone for the morning and I had a truly lazy morning. Until well past mid-morning, I stayed in my gown, read, spent time on line, and relaxed after a day yesterday that was more stressful than I realized at the time.  I am so glad this was Saturday and I could unwind.
I think the coot has taken up residence under this walkway across the resaca from our house.
Around 11:00 I left to go do a little birthday shopping for a special young man and while I was out, Mom called and said Carmen could come clean, but she was going to nap during the afternoon and recharge her batteries.  I finished my first shopping spot, and went to the second which was very close by.  Next I came to the house to leave some meat I bought while at Wal-Mart and Ron was out working on the driveway so he brought my purchases in the house.

Last shopping stop was quick and then I picked up Carmen and brought her to the house to do some cleaning.  She worked hard on the house while I fixed a good lunch.  We had ham, sweet potatoes, corn, spinach salad, and French bread.  It was a great lunch and Ron, Carmen, and I enjoyed it; then it was back to work for two of us.  I cleaned the kitchen and Ron was ready to relax after spending time working in the yard.

Several months ago, Ron cut down a tree and found a large hollow spot inside.  I thought that sections of the logs with the holes would make interesting planters. 
 
Around the same time I had seen an article where the writer had carved out long logs and made planters from them. 

Our logs weren't long, but Ron did both projects today.  I now have two tall planters and two planter logs that lie down flat.
Now if I can just find time to plant something in them.  As always, Ron did a great job carrying out one of my wild ideas. 

Plain Chachalaca
Around 5:00, I took Carmen back to Mom's house and visited with her for a while.  She is trying to learn how to use her new computer and it is challenging.  I had told her before she got it to be prepared to want to throw it through a window a few times the first week.  At least that is the way Ron and I are with new computers.
Plain Chachalaca
While at Mom's I enjoyed watching the antics of the Chachalacas in her back yard.  Mom said she sees them as "clown" birds and I think she is right.
I arrived back home just before sunset to see the trees filling with cormorants and they were fussing at me for invading their private spaces.
The sunset was forming and I went out front to enjoy it.  I love the photo of the sunset above.  It is not the dramatic colors of some recent ones, but the sky was so clear and clean. 

I watched a jet fly over leaving a vapor trail and it was beautiful.

Supper was leftovers and I again had a relaxing time as the day ended.  There was time for reading, chatting with our daughter-in-law in New Mexico, and I wrote my blog.  Much of the day was quiet as I took the sound processor off while I was alone in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Love the log planters ! Your ideas and Ron's skill produce some very neat things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now I just need to get some potting soil and plants.

      Delete