Monday, January 26, 2015

January 25, 2015

Unexpected Fun
January 25, 2015


This morning we got up at the right time to get to Sunday School on time, but somehow we were running a little late when we actually got there.  After class started and by the time I got the attendance done and wrote cards to our absentees, it was time to go pick Mom up for church.  Her helper's ride was waiting for the helper to take her to her church.  Mom and I arrived at church and she visited with many friends before the service started.

We knew our son and his wife had a meeting after church for the parents of the kids in the children's department.  I asked if they needed us to take any of the children and they said they would like for us to keep the two youngest while they went to look at houses after their luncheon.  Jeff brought the two over a few minutes after we got home.  I had a ham I had fixed the previous day and made salad, heated corn and french bread and we had a delightful lunch.  I told Barb this afternoon that I got the two best eaters of the bunch.  They ate and ate.  They loved the ham.  One didn't want bread and one didn't want the spinach in the salad, but other than that, they ate more than one helping of everything.

We had a good time at lunch and laughed a lot.  I must admit, at times the noise got to me.  I told Barb I also got the two most talkative ones.  Oh, my, those two love to talk - not necessarily to anyone, just talk!  By the time the two of them were talking at the same time and the a/c was running I was on sound overload.  I could not tell what any one was saying, but the two children had "very important" things to tell me.  After lunch I told them it was rest time and Ron quickly went to sleep - but no one else did. 
They looked at books and kept sneaking up to work puzzles.  They had fun with all the wooden puzzles and worked them in and out of the frames.
Our grandson had taken all the wooden puzzles pieces to one puzzle that had tools and slipped them in his belt loops like a carpenter would wear them.  He was not happy to return them to his sister so she could work the puzzle.

While they were "resting" I baked a banana cake because the bananas were ready for that usage.  After rest time, our youngest grandson helped me bake Chocolate Chip Cookies and they both helped some.
I had promised this young man we would make cookies when they seven children spent the weekend with us recently and we ran out of time, so I made sure to get that project done today.  He is six and amazed me with his math ability of adding and subtracting and doing thought problems.  He is one sharp kid!
The cookies were excellent, so he must have done a great job.  Naturally, taste testing was in order and we all proclaimed them "Fantastic".  Then the kids ran off to play in the toy room while I cleaned the kitchen.  I didn't finish the cleaning, but Ron worked on it later.

Ron had to go take something to his mother and picked up milk and bread on his way back.  Before long it was time for supper and we had ham sandwiches, chips, and grapes.  Of course supper was followed by chocolate chip cookies and milk. 

Jeff and Barb were late getting back and we visited for a while when they arrived.  It was after 10:00 when they left and Barb texted me a couple of minutes later to say the baby was already asleep.    It was a good day, and is always fun to have the grandchildren come over.  They enjoy coming in twos and threes so that they can have more time to play with their favorite toys without having to share too much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment