Friday, January 2, 2015

January 2, 2015

Productive Day,
Cold, Misty Day
January 2, 2015



Today was filled with errands and things on my "to do" list.  I think I can check them all off today's list!  It was a good day and since I don't enjoy the heat, today was great!  At one point I was standing outside at the office trying to take some photos and a customer drove up and asked where my coat was.  I was very comfortable.  I think it was 47 degrees at the time, but the wind was not bad. 

We had an appointment for the refrigerator repairman to come between 1:00 and 4:00 today.  He called Ron about 10:00 a.m. and asked if he could come.  Ron called me and I said, "Tell him 5 minutes!"  I had not dressed yet.  Ron had a doctor's appointment and I had been taking my time getting dressed.  I had spent time on the computer and found out I had a new great-grand niece (is there such a thing?).  The sweet little baby is my brother's great grandchild.  We will look forward to meeting Evelyn Rose.

Before the call about the repairman, I had worked in the kitchen and cleaned off the top and front of the refrigerator and the counter top beside the unit to make things easier on the repairman.  The man was not here long and said it needed a new computer board (or some such) and that they would get it ordered, it should be in Wednesday and then he would come back and fix it.  Progress!

I had also worked more in the sewing room and I am liking the clean look of the sewing table.  Of course a clean sewing table means it is time to start a project!  I hope to start finishing some projects! 

Once the repairman left, I showered, washed my hair, and then got ready to start on the errand list.  I had not taken time for breakfast and it was getting close to lunch time.  Ron finally got back from his long wait at the doctor's office.  It was just a regular re-check on some medications he is taking.  We talked a while and then I left to go to the office to get the paperwork on my camera so I could go to Best Buy to see about a new one.
One of the ornaments on the tree at the office
I had the paper about the work order, but I didn't have my copy of the original sales receipt for my camera.  It was not at the shop and then I remembered I had put it in the camera bag (which was at home).  Back in the car I decided it was time to stop and pick up some lunch since I didn't get breakfast and it was after 12:30.  I got my lunch, ate it on the way home, found the receipt right where I had put it for safe keeping, and headed to Best Buy.

At Best Buy, I got in the line at Customer Service and when it was my turn I gave the young lady all the paper work and she did an assortment of things on the computer and decided that the closest match to my camera was now $10 higher than what I paid, so she prepared a gift card for that amount (the original price plus $10 and the tax) and gave me the card telling me I could get what I wanted, I would just have to pay the difference for anything over that amount. 

Eventually a nice, older man, helped me in the camera department.  The "comparable" model they listed was the same as mine in several, easy to compare areas, but did not have all the features mine had.  I opted for the one I felt was closest to mine and was really not too much higher in price.  In several areas it far surpasses my old one.  I feel they were totally fair with me.  My camera was 2 1/2 years old and heavily used!  I did buy another 3 year extended warranty, a battery, and one special SD card.  The SD cards are what my old camera used, so they will work on this one.  The battery wouldn't. 
One of my favorite Christmas cards that came this year
After I took my purchases to the car, I returned to the store to look for two computer programs I needed for the new computer at the office. They don't sell many, but they had the two I needed and one was on sale.  As I left the store I texted to see if Ron was at the office.  He was (we were closed today).  I asked him to wait for me so he could install the new programs.  While one of the programs downloaded, he called for me to bring my camera and come outside.  My battery had not been charged!  It was a flock of the full-sized red-headed parrots.  They were beautiful and a delight to see.  If only my camera had been ready!  (This was when the customer thought I needed my coat.) 

As I mentioned a day or two ago, I take so many things for granted now about my hearing.  Maybe I don't take them for granted, but I don't stop to always consider my hearing in every situation.  I told Ron when he left this morning, that when I went to look at cameras I might text him to come help me.  The last few times I have needed to buy something technical, I have asked him to go along and listen to the salesperson.  This is my camera.  I know what features I want.  I know how I use the camera - I take few movies, etc.  When it came time to go look, I decided to try first on my own.  I walked out with my new camera.  I was comfortable with the amount of information I could hear from the man and asked him to repeat when I didn't understand.  Once I managed not to roll my eyes when he got very technical, but my research in advance was enough to tell me that what he said was correct and really wasn't something I needed to fully understand.  (Don't know how much sense that makes.) 

I had left Ron to supervise the rest of the installation of the programs and the battery charging on the new camera, and I went to Kohl's to spend my Kohl's cash from my pre-Christmas shopping.  I hit some great bargains and for $4.54 in cash, I got a $40 tie, two cute tops for our youngest granddaughter, and a baby gift.  According to their receipt, I saved $85.81.  I don't get it.  How do they do it?  Anyway, I was happy with my purchases and left to go to Sears to pay the Discover bill for the office.  The rainy mist was much heavier and it was chilly.  I quickly finished that chore and went to check on Mom.

Mom was resting on her bed and her helper/housekeeper was on the phone in her own room (the guest room).  I asked Mom if Carmen was going to church as she usually does on Friday nights.  She said that Carmen didn't have a ride since her sister is sick.  I told her I would take her if she could get a ride home.  I asked Mom if she wanted to go with me to take Carmen.  Yes, she did.  So she got ready and we took Carmen to church, not where Mom and I thought it was.  Then we waited with her until others arrived.  Next we called to see if Ron wanted to join us for supper but he was not wanting to get out in the cold again.  After trying one place that was too busy, we ended up at Luby's and had a delicious supper and a nice visit.  I took Mom home and got home at 8:15.  A long, but productive day!

Since the camera was only charged late in the day, I only took a few shots, but hopefully soon, I will be getting some great photos to share with you.  Those in today's blog are just a few random experimental shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment