Tuesday, December 9, 2014

December 8 & 9, 2014

It is Not Just on My Blog
That I Am Running Behind!
December 8 & 9, 2014


The reason for the Christmas season is the birth of Christ the Lord.

When my mom was at my sister's home recently, I kept hoping for more frequent updates from her on Mom's condition.  Now I am sure she is wishing I would keep her updated!  Where is my time going?  Christmas is just around the corner (so I hear) and I am not anywhere close to ready for it.  I better get some wish lists in the mail soon.

We will start with Mom.  She is doing GREAT!  I am sure my sister wonders what happened since Mom had one problem after another while staying up there.  There is just no place like home.  I am not unaware that she may have a set back or two along the way, but I think the timing of her return home was just right.  She is so happy to be in her own home.  She says over and over what wonderful caregivers Janet and her husband were, but for each of us, there is no place like home. 

Monday morning I went to the office around 10:00 and did an assortment of chores while Ron went out on a promised job.  He came back about 12:15 and I finished the work I was doing, ate lunch, and left to go to Mom's to take her to the doctor.  She was afraid she was taking the bronchial condition that my brother-in-law, Joe Bob had and still has.  Mom also asked our daughter-in-law Barbara to go with us to be an extra set of ears since Mom doesn't hear a lot better than I do.

Waiting for the doctor!
Her appointment was at 3:00 and it was close to 5:00 when we got out.  Mom's helper at home, Carmen has a Monday evening Bible study course she is taking and so she had gone to that.  I was glad Barbara was with us at the doctor because not only is the doctor soft spoken, but he talks very fast.  Oh, my!  With all three of us listening, we think we covered it all.

The doctor wanted Mom to have a test to see if she had the flu and his office tried to find somewhere for us to go get that done.  After multiple calls, the receptionist said to go to the ER at Valley Baptist Hospital.  It had started to rain, so I went in first to be sure about it before getting Mom out of the car.  They said, no, they don't do that unless the person comes in as a patient and they must do a complete workup in the ER.  Of course she had just had that done by her doctor about 15 minutes earlier and he had sent her there for the test.  No, they would not do it any other way.  We left without it.

We went to H.E.B. for a few groceries and prescriptions.  The pharmacist spent a long time helping Mom with numerous questions.  From there, we went to her house to leave the groceries and then met Ron at Luby's for supper.  Mom was so glad to be out and about in her own town.  Supper was good and we had a nice visit.

I took Mom home and stayed with her until Carmen returned just before 10:00.  Once I got home, I was ready for sleep.  That is why I did not get a blog done to cover yesterday.  An added problem is the fact that my computer at the office is dead and I am slow on my laptop.  As a side note, I think we have decided what we are ordering for a replacement; we just need to get it done.

Today Ron left for work, leaving me sleeping.  I really appreciated that and told him so at the office.  He asked if I was teasing of if I really did appreciate it.  I REALLY did appreciate it.  It was almost 10:30 when I got to the office (after a stop at Chick-fil-A for their free breakfast offer).  I was planning to take Mom to the walk-in clinic to get the flu test but just before time to do that this afternoon, her doctor changed his mind about it and said not to have the test (a long story).

Since my computer is dead, I had to balance the office checkbook by the old fashioned way - pencil and paper.  But the major problem is that I could not go on line to get some figures I needed for the company that handles our credit card machine at the office.  It took longer to accomplish the chore, but I got it done.

Then I picked up Mom to go purchase some gift items.  We each had some shopping to do so we did that and then went to her doctor's office to pick up a prescription order that wasn't ready after all, so I took her home to rest and I went home to do a little house cleaning.  Following about 45 minutes at home, I went by her doctor's office again and the prescription was ready so I took it to the pharmacy and then went to pick Mom and Carmen up to go to my house.  It was Quilt Group night!

Katrina (one of the ladies in the group) made these scarfs for each of us! 
 They are super soft.  What an unexpected treat!
It was still a couple of hours before quilting, so Carmen helped me in the kitchen doing some serious cleaning in one area.  At time for quilting they were all surprised to see Mom attend and gladly welcomed her home and welcomed Carmen to the group. 
The scarf maker is in the middle of this photo.
We all had a good time catching up on news and sharing quilting ideas and suggestions.  It is always "Show and Tell" time and some of them had things to show. 

After the group left, I took Mom and Carmen back to Mom's house and put her car away before coming home.  Here is a photo of Carmen and me.  She is really a sweet lady and is quick to offer Mom help with anything she needs.  We are so thankful to have her help at this time.

Carmen is making Mom's life and my life easier.  
She loves the Lord and His love shines through her.

2 comments:

  1. Pictures made me really anxious to come for a visit.....but you are so busy! Maybe it will slow down by February. Everybody looks so good. Especially your mom...she looks like she was never so ill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are looking forward to the visit. I told them last night you are planning to come!

      Delete