Saturday, December 20, 2014

December 20, 2014

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
December 20, 2014

 Note that these glasses (shaped like Christmas trees) actually light up!  
What fun for under $3!
As usually happens on Saturdays, I was up early and working on the kitchen before the housekeeper arrived.  She arrived about the usual time and I got the laundry started while she stated gathering the trash.  She does have a system and sticks to it most of the time.  If I did that, I might not need a housekeeper.
Mom and her helper Carmen watching the children decorate the deck.

It is almost 8:00 p.m. and I feel like it has been a very long day.  About 9:00 this morning, I went to the grocery store to get the ham I didn't find at another store last night.  There  were several other things I needed, so I did the shopping and returned home to unload the groceries and put them away.

Putting Christmas lights on the gate to the deck.

Stephen and Kristina's wish lists were late arriving, so this morning I did some additional shopping: some in person and some on line.  The stores were busy, but not packed.  So many people say they are ready or about ready.  Not me.

Time to hang the lighted snowflakes.
Back at the house, Ron helped me wrap and pack the box to go to Stephen and Kristina and then I went to the post office to mail it.  I had seen their sign a few days ago when I was there, saying they would be open until 3:00 today.  I arrived about 2:00 with my Kindle to keep me busy while I waited in line.  There wasn't a line!  I told the clerk that I had expected them to be busy and he said they had expected to be busy.  It was a treat to be in and out quickly.
The candy canes needed to be put out.
My next stop was Mom's house.  Three of Jeff's children were there helping with the outdoor decorating and replacing some light bulbs.  Carmen had put garland on the deck this morning, but our oldest grandson added the lights this afternoon after he was up and down the ladder changing light bulbs in the garage and outside the garage door.  He did a great job while his brother hung large ornaments out front and also stuck large candy canes around a tree.  I left them working and went to Walgreen's to get an extension cord and a few other items.
Carmen, Rachel, and I pruned the roses.  They sure are thorny!
The next door neighbors came over to see how Mom was doing and visited a while and the grandchildren headed home for family Christmas photos.  I cleaned up the leftover stuff on the deck and then went to the post office to mail some cards for Mom and stopped at a store and was able to get the last thing I needed for David's family.  We are meeting David tomorrow for lunch in Robstown to give him the gifts for his family.

All the gifts to our oldest son and his wife are in the mail as are the ones for our youngest son and his wife.  The ones to the third son and his family will be delivered tomorrow, so that only leaves the large family here!  Most of their shopping is done, but I decided not to concentrate on theirs yet; I can do that next week!

Since the stores were not packed, hearing clerks was not too hard.  I had helpful, considerate clerks everywhere I went.  As I was leaving one store I gave a Christmas ornament to the clerk and as she teared up, she asked if she could give me a hug.  It doesn't take much to encourage someone else - especially a clerk who has probably had a very busy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment