Thursday, December 18, 2014

December 17, 2014

Happy Birthday to Our First Born
December 17, 2014
 

Our son Bob, his wife Vickey, Linda and Ron (Bob's proud parents)
Our oldest son was born on a Sunday morning - about 11:15.  That was a time we would normally be in our places at Bellaire Baptist Church in Bellaire, TX.  Bellaire is a small community surrounded by Houston and has changed a lot since we were there.  Our son, Bob (William Robert) was born in 1967.  I had been working at the University of Houston and his dad was a student there.  Ron and I were so delighted with our new-born son.

 
Multi-talented

Bob was not due until January 8 and on Saturday night after finishing our Christmas shopping, I had talked to someone from church and told them we would be at church the next morning.  We didn't make it there.  I asked Ron to not let my parents know that I had gone to the hospital.  I wanted to be the one to tell them about our new baby.  December 17 was my dad's birthday and I wanted to be the one to tell him that for his birthday he had a new grandson.  Bob was the first grandchild on both sides of the family and was eagerly awaited.  I told Daddy I had a birthday present but he would have to come to Houston to see it.  They arrived a few days later.



Over all the years, we could notbe more proud of Bob.  He is very intelligent, diligent, kind, compassionate, gentle, and loving.  He has always had such a tender heart and cares about those who are not able to protect themselves.  Bob is a strong defender of the rights of the unborn, and has been for as long as I can remember.


Bob is so skilled, he assembled this space ship!  We had teased him a lot at Stephen's wedding rehearsal dinner, about his space research.  He has a great sense of humor and laughed with us.

Research is his love and the area where he is very gifted.  I remember his 5th grade teacher and I discussing the fact that Bob would be content to be locked in a library doing research and having pizza slipped under the door on a regular basis.  That is still true.  His field today is space physics.

The example he sets of his love for his wife is something that we could all learn from.  There are times I wonder if either Bob or Vickey could function without the other.  Their marriage is a strong, stable, loving relationship.  He is currently attending a convention and is so eager to be back home with his loving wife.



Happy Birthday, Dr. Bob.  We love you!  Sorry about the lack of quality photos of Bob, but with all the computer problems I am having, I can't access the best ones at this time.



Today brought thoughts of my dad and my son.  Daddy was a good, kind man and I am thankful to have had such a great Dad.  Daddy has spent the last 20+ years in Heaven, but he is still missed a lot!



My day was fine.  There were frustrations, but none that couldn't be dealt with.  Ron was out a little of the morning on errands and jobs.  I left about 2:00 to do a little shopping - and that is what I did - a LITTLE shopping. 

First I stopped by Mom's house and noticed that down the street they were demolishing a house (probably to build a bigger and better one) so after I left her house I stopped to take some photos.  I could not get my camera to focus.  I tried everything that I knew to do, but everytime I  looked through the viewfinder, all I saw was a blur of colors.
 
I needed to go to Best Buy anyway, so I took my camera to be sent in for repairs.  1 hour and 45 minutes later, following a lot of frustration, it was accepted to be sent off under my warranty,  Everytime they tried to replicate what I described, they could not.  Finally it dawned on me that I was using the viewfinder and they were using the screen.  As shown by the above photos, the camera was focusing but the viewfinder was showing a very blurry scene!  I was beginning to doubt my sanity before I made the discovery.

While out I had done a LITTLE shopping, but not as much as I could have done with the almost two hours spent at Best Buy.   I did accomplish all the things I had to do for the afternoon.  The downside is that I will be without my camera for the holidays.  But it needed a good cleaning and care for a couple of other problems, so I will manage.
 

Barb had invited us to supper.  I returned to the office to get my things and them picked up Mom and Carmen before going to Jeff and Barb's.  It is always a delight to be around the grandchildren and supper was very good.  Later in the evening Craig and Rhonda Smith arrived to bring one of the children home from choir practice and stayed to visit for a while.  We had a great time laughing and sharing stories.  So many things are going on in their family with their son and daughter-in-law and baby preparing to serve as foriegn missionaries and one of their daughters getting ready for her wedding!  Exciting times.

After taking Mom and Carmen home, I went to Walgreen's for milk and bread and ended up with a few more supplies.  It was 10:00 when I got home.  It had been a long day, but a good one.  Hearing at the table at times was a little much and I went to do dishes with one of my granddaughters to have a one on one conversation away from the amplified sounds of a filled table of conversation.
 

Oh, while in line at Best Buy, Ron texted to tell mye my computer had arrived!  They are to come Thursday to set it up!  Hope and pray all goes well.

3 comments:

  1. More we have in common...my dads birthday was Dec 17th, also! He would have been 116 yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! He obviously was old when you were born! Interesting. Daddy would have been 93. I think we just need to decide that we are sisters and be done with it. Miss you, Sis!

      Delete
    2. He was 39 when I was born--remember, I would be your OLDER sister!!!

      Delete