Sunday, August 23, 2015

August 23, 2015

Great Lesson in Sunday School
Great Message in Worship Service
August 23, 2015


Great Kiskadee
This morning I was up just before my 5:00 alarm and took my medications.  At 6:00 I took my allergy shots.  Between those two events, I spent time on the computer and in the kitchen.  After the shots I got another hour of sleep before getting ready for church and Sunday School.  We were running late and I am not sure why. 
White-winged Dove
Currently we are about to finish up a study in Revelation in our Sunday School class.  We had a very good attendance and have had all through this study.  Almost everyone was there.  We have 27 on roll (I think) and 23 there today.  There is usually good discussion, but it was even better today.
Great Kiskadee
The worship service was very good.  My husband even sat with me!  He usually helps in the vestibule during the service, but sat with me and it was a nice change.  The son of one of our class members will be baptized next Sunday and we are so happy about that.  They are a new family in our church and are such a joy to be around.  The church has had over 30 baptisms over the summer.  That is such a blessing.  God is working at First Baptist Church, Brownsville.  A lot of people are also working hard to help others and reach out to the community.
Great Kiskadee
There was a report this morning from the team in Nepal.  It is the monsoon season there and as the team trekked up the mountain to a distant village they were delayed by mudslides and spent a couple of days in a village not on their schedule, but it was on God's schedule.  They were stuck there because down from the village, mudslides occurred after they had passed, so they could not go either way.  After a couple of days they were able to continue the trek up the mountain to do the intended work.  They have another week there and a week from tomorrow the third team with leave. 
Great Kiskadee
One of the stores where the team was shopping for good hiking boots, donated $50 in supplies for the people there.  Many want to help these hurting people in Nepal in any way they can.  In another helping ministry, many of the young adults helped in a neighborhood cleanup project for several hours yesterday.  The city maintenance crews are working with these groups to haul away the debris they accumulate in their cleaning of the alleyways.  
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
After church Ron and I picked up lunch and came home to eat.  Ron napped all afternoon while I worked on the things Carmen took out of my closet yesterday.  I have about 75% of the job done to get everything cleaned up.  Then I spent a couple of hours cleaning in the sewing room.  The sewing room is a constant challenge to keep clean and organized.  When working on a project I may get out stacks of  fabric to select the exact thing I think I need and then all the other things need to be put up.  Or sometimes I leave out 10 or 12 pieces while I make my final decision.  I just don't keep up well with returning things to the shelves.  As soon as I do, I want something out of the stack I just put away. I fixed supper for us and then returned to the sewing room to work.  It is almost clean enough to sew in now! 
Golden-fronted Woodpecker that thinks he is a hummingbird
While in Sunday School this morning I got a text from Mom's helper telling me not to come pick Mom up for worship service.  I exchanged a few texts and she said Mom was not feeling well.  I went to check on her and I think she is tired from getting so much done while my sister was here.  They were on the go every day.  It was all things Mom had on her list to accomplish but it was so hot during that time that just being in the heat was exhausting besides all they accomplished.  Hopefully a day or two of rest will have her up and about again quickly.
Probably an immature Hooded Warbler
Starting yesterday afternoon while Ron was working in the yard, I have started seeing the migrating birds.  Yesterday there was an oriole and a couple of hummingbirds.  This morning the birds were out early, but it was only the regulars.  This afternoon, I saw the oriole again and a warbler, stopping by on their way south, along with a Lesser Goldfinch (who would not pose for a photo).  I was able to get some photos today and hope you are enjoying them throughout the blog posting. 
 Probably an immature Hooded Warbler
The Great Kiskadee and the White-winged Dove, as well as the Golden-fronted Woodpecker live in our neighborhood all year long.  The same is true of the Buff-bellied Hummingbird.  It is good to see the colorful birds for a few weeks.  Ron had been working on the fountains recently and got one of the waterfalls running this afternoon since the warblers love the waterfalls.  He has been extra helpful the last week or so.
Probably an immature Hooded Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment