Tuesday, August 18, 2015

August 17 & 18, 2015

Two Slow Days
August 17 & 18, 2015

Golden-Fronted Woodpecker enjoying the hummingbird feeder

Monday and Tuesday have been slow days for me; partly because it was a little slow at the office.  Ron had lots of counter work to do (things people brought in to the office to have fixed) so he stayed busy, but I was not very busy.

Monday was allergy shot day.  That went better than the ones Saturday.  I had the strongest skin reaction yet on Saturday with a very large red area.  Monday was mild.  I did end up going back to sleep after Ron left for work and didn't wake up until about 10:00, so it was 11:00 when I got to the office and I was not feeling great.  Ron took care of most of the customers, allowing me to stay in my office.  By mid-afternoon I was feeling better and helped with some of the customers.  Also, I sewed, completing 4 more of the string quilt blocks, leaving only 5 to my goal of 154.  I still have more border sections to complete.

After work I came home and had a light supper and Ron stayed and worked late at the office.  Eventually I went to bed early and slept a good long time.  Even so, I hit the snooze alarm many times this morning.  When I went back to the gastroenterologist last week, I was given a new eating plan - no citrus, no tomato products, nothing with vinegar, no chocolate, and no sodas.  No caffeine.   The lack of caffeine is a factor in my being sleepy all of the time.  When I am off caffeine, I don't get much done.  People sometimes say I am like the Energizer Bunny.  Well, without caffeine, this Energizer Bunny is like a bunny with no batteries!

My headaches were very mild this time when I stopped the caffeine compared to previous times, but I am sleepy.  Bummer.  I will adjust in a few more days, but this transition time is the pits.  I am doing fine without the things I am cutting out.  I miss Dr. Peppers, but the main problem is finding something I like to drink.  So far it is VERY weak decaf tea and Kool-Aid, but I can only take the Kool-Aid in small amounts. 

Tuesday morning I got up and had breakfast and worked some in the kitchen.  It was about 10:00 when I got to the office.  I spent time in the morning on the computer and in the afternoon, I paid a couple of bills and did a little searching for a piece of fabric I am wanting.  At just after 4:00 I left the office and picked up Carmen to bring her to our house to do some cleaning.  Then I met Mom and my sister Debbie for supper at Luby's. 

While I was waiting, a customer of ours at the office came to talk to me.  He and I had discussed my bird photos before when he had come in (only once that I know of that he came in).  We talked a bit and then it came out his wife was just diagnosed with cancer and he is really focused on that and having a little trouble focusing on things he needs to at work.  I told him I would pray for his wife and he thanked me.  I don't know his name (I will try to get it next time he comes in which he said would be soon).  God knows her name and it doesn't matter if I don't.  That is one of the many amazing things about God; if I just think of this couple, God knows who they are and what they need.

Mom had not gotten my email and didn't know she was to meet me there at 5:30 so after I called to see where they were, she and my sister hurried and got ready to join me.  Then they came to visit at our house and they took Carmen with them when they left.  While we visited in the sewing/bird viewing room, we watched the woodpecker help himself to supper at the hummingbird feeder.  I had put out a new feeder this morning and noticed how far it was down when I got home.  Then I saw the woodpecker on it and knew why so much of the food was gone.
Woodpecker on hummingbird feeder
There was a hummingbird flitting around the backyard at the same time as the woodpecker was eating (or rather drinking) his supper.  The hummingbird was busy with the hibiscus bushes.  It is fun to watch what goes on out in the backyard.


  1. Have you tried Sprite Zero....it kinda satisfies my craving for carbonation....or is that banned, too? Karen drinks decaffeinated Coke. I have to limit caffeine, too so I save it for one cup of decaf coffee. Still feeling good today.

    1. Thanks for the suggestion, but no sodas at all.