Saturday, June 13, 2015

June 13, 2015

Quiet Saturday
June 13, 2015



It was one of those rare days when I could sleep as late as I wanted, so naturally I was up at 7:30.  Ugh!  Why can't I sleep late when I have the opportunity?  I spent about 45 minutes working in the backyard.  I had not even set foot in the backyard all week.  We had just been too busy to take care of things back there.  Each morning except Monday I had to be at the office early and it was usually dark before I got home in the evenings, so I had neglected to water the hanging baskets and refill the ponds, etc.

While I filled the ponds, I had blueberry muffins in the oven.  I thought I had lost some of my plants from my neglect, but late this afternoon, I noticed that they perked up and were blooming!  It was another hot, humid day.  We had one small brief shower while I was eating breakfast but that was all the rain we got.
Oldest Grandson
As always, my plan for the day was sewing, but again, as always, I got very little sewing done.  I did laundry, dishes, and changed sheets.  Carmen was helping Mom and Janet with Jeff's children so I did some housework.  Some time had to be spent clearing the work surfaces in the sewing room.  Ron got home about noon and then left to go check on his mom.  He had been so busy this week he had very little time to check on her.
Jeff working to get the yard in shape.
While he was gone, I baked a cake and fixed some baked potatoes for lunch.  When he got home, he rested a little and then we went to Jeff's house to see if we could help with the things they were moving this weekend.
 It really seemed strange to drive up to Jeff's house 
and see the trailer they will use in the move. 
 It is becoming all too real.
They were doing yard work and not ready to take a load to the new place, so Ron and I went to Harlingen to the quilt shop so I could get a few things.  From there we came home and Ron slept the rest of the day while I continued cleaning in the sewing room, and reorganizing some things.
Where are Mommy and Daddy?
While relaxing in the sewing room I saw some woodpeckers on the tree out the window.  It turns out they have a nest in the same tree as a couple of years ago, but a new hole.  There was a young female Golden-fronted Woodpecker exploring and wondering where Mommy and Daddy were.  You could tell she was perplexed as to where they were and why they weren't feeding her.  Finally they both showed up and she calmed down.  All I need is a neurotic woodpecker in the yard.  I ended up spending 45 minutes taking photos after I went out and cleaned the windows so they would be clean for the photos.
The father Golden-Fronted Woodpecker.
After that I finally started sewing.  I made 3 more of the blocks for the string quilt.  They are so relaxing to make.  I hope to make a few more before going to bed, but it is late.
Young female Golden-Fronted Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment