Saturday, October 4, 2014

October 3, 2014

A Generous Gift
October 3, 2014



At the office, I keep up some of my photos of birds from this area.  Many customers enjoy looking at them as they wait for their turn or for their item to be repaired.  Many want to discuss the birds.  Last spring, a customer asked Ron about the bird photos and when Ron told the man that they were mine, he told Ron he should take me to Padre Island for a weekend.  Then he offered Ron a free weekend at his hotel.  Ron thanked him, but didn't do anything about it.  The next time the man came in, he brought a gift certificate for 2 nights at the hotel.  So this weekend, we are staying as his guests at the hotel and enjoying some relaxing time.  We have not really had enough of that lately. 

The beach is just about my favorite place to go.  Ron is not wild about sand between his toes.  I love the sand, the surf, and the birds.  It doesn't get much better than this!  I would be happy to spend lots of time at the island, until a hurricane comes. 

Friday, I was up early and went to the office to continue to catch up.  I didn't get it all done, but enough was done to let me feel like I could enjoy the weekend.  Ron was out for several hours and I got a bank deposit ready during that time.  When he got back, I went to the bank  and to pay a bill and to get my lunch.  Around 3:30 I left, went my Mom's and then home to finish packing for our weekend at the beach.

On the way to the beach, I wanted to look for the latest aircraft carrier that has been brought to the port to be dismantled.  It is the largest one yet to be brought here.  It is quite a sight to look across the flat area and see it as it appears to be sitting among the cactus,(it is in the ship channel).

 
We checked in and took our luggage to the room before going back to Port Isabel for supper at Pirates' Landing.  It was not crowded and we enjoyed having a great supper of fajitas and all the fixings. 
 
After eating we walked a little way out on the pier and just enjoyed the night air.  A cool front had just blown in and it was very windy.  My Cochlear Implant Sound Processor picks up the sound of the wind very well.  
We watched the Great Blue Herons and Pelicans.  They were fishing for their suppers.  Returning to the island, we went to the grocery store and picked up essentials: coffee (for Ron), chips, ice, and a couple of other snacks.  The room has a kitchen but I don't plan to cook this weekend.  This is one of the older hotels and is not fancy, but it is clean, and quiet, the staff is friendly, and has everything we need.

The view of the water is beautiful.  Lots of Pelicans continue to fly by the window in groups of 12-25.  There are a few people down on the beach, but not too many.  I think this is going to be a very nice weekend.
 
Our hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment