Wednesday, October 29, 2014

October 29, 2014

October Abounds With Birthdays
 in Our Family
October 29, 2014


Stephen's soon to be bride has a birthday today.  She is wrapping up a month of a lot of family birthdays.  Another daughter-in-law had a birthday this month, as well as my mother-in-law, my husband, a grandchild, and a nephew, a few more extended family members.  I feel like we have celebrated all month.  Toss into that two wedding showers and you can only imagine the looks of my checkbook.  I was out of town for two of the birthdays and missed out on celebrating.

This morning Ron had an early doctor's appointment and that meant that I had to open the office.  I was awake very early but read for a while before getting up.  Then as I pulled out of the driveway to head to the office I was greeted by this beautiful sight.  I just had to pull over and grab my camera.  Those sunbeams were lovely.  What a great start to my day.

At the office, I stayed very busy all morning while Ron was gone and then once he got there, things slowed down.  He went back out to take care of some things for his mother and was gone a couple of hours.  Then I went to the post office to mail a birthday gift to today's birthday young lady - a little late to arrive on time, but I told her she would just have to learn that I am bad about getting things into the mail.  I had meant to take care of this before I left Dallas last week, but as you recall, my plans were turned upside down.  I am sure our son treated her royally today.

While I was out, I decided to see about my shoes for the wedding and was fortunate to find a lovely pair on sale at SAS.  Even with my aching foot they felt good.  Back at the office Ron was about to finish with the Yellow Page salesman.  I dread that chore every year, but the young man that came today had also come last year and he is very nice.  We have a lot in common.  His mother is deaf and has been all her life I think.  He loves the Lord and is very active in his church.  He and Ron had a good visit before I arrived and we continued the visit for longer than he had probably allotted in his schedule.

I did get a fair amount of work done in my office today.  I had gotten concerned about the orders I had placed Monday for things for the rehearsal dinner.  I can't just pick up the phone and call about them so I emailed one, but after not hearing for a couple of hours, Ron tried calling a couple of times.  He only got voice mails.  Eventually I got an email that said that order was on the way.  Then I tried an online chat at Amazon to see about the order I had placed there.

The Amazon order took a lot more of my patience.  In years past I have been very pleased with Amazon, but my last couple of experiences have been disappointing.  I had paid for two day shipping.  When I checked on line, it showed the order had not even shipped late today (Wednesday) after my order being placed on Monday.  It took about 20 minutes of chatting to come up with a frustrating answer.  When I placed the order, it said "in stock".  The lady today told me it wasn't in stock at that time but I guess arrived late today.  I questioned why I paid for 2 day shipping if it wasn't even there.  She said because when it got there, it would be shipped and I would have it in two days from when it was shipped.

The chat lady at Amazon said it should be shipped tonight and should arrive Friday.  I told her I would go on line in the morning and see if it shipped.  She promised to also do the same thing and if it had not, she would expedite the items.  She was helpful and polite and I was polite, but sure was frustrated that it had said "in stock" when it wasn't.  It seems they have huge warehouses and it may have been in one far away from here.  They move things from warehouse to warehouse to ship things from the closest warehouse. Just please don't tell me 2 days when it will be 4.

Oh, it looks like Mom will be dismissed from the rehab center next Wednesday morning!  Yea!  I know she is much more eager than all of us put together!  She is ready to be out of there!  As I have said before, my sister who has done the most care during this spell is so good at it.  She questioned some things today and they saw they messed up and said they were going to change procedures so it would not happen again.  It was not a major thing, but I think they should hire my sister to help them get their act together!  She is good!

That chat with the lady from Amazon ran well past closing time at the office and when we were getting ready to go, Ron suggested going to Luby's for supper.  I gladly accepted.  I went by Mom's and then met him there.  We both must have been hungry because we sure cleaned our plates.  I had shown him on line this afternoon that the International Space Station was going right overhead tonight at 7:23 so we hurried home and were able to watch it.  Here is my photo of it.  Trust me, that is what it is.  I was just amazed my camera would pick it up.  It is just a bright dot going rapidly across the sky.  We hurried back in before the mosquitoes drained us of all our blood. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment