Wednesday, October 15, 2014

October 15, 2014

Not Perfect, But Better
October 15, 2014


Roses from Mom's yard

I think this mapping and adjustment that was done in Houston on Monday on my Cochlear Sound Processor, has helped some.  It is not perfect, but I do think it is better than before.  One of the things I have changed is the setting that I am using.  I normally use the setting that takes down background noise, but that also takes down some other things that I need to hear.  Nothing can surpass the ability of our brains that God created, when it comes to deciding what I need to hear and what I don't.

One day at the audiologist's office, I told her that when I had the program on to take down the background noise, that it took down the noise of the mixer I was using in the kitchen to mix a cake, very well.  At the same time, it took down the television sounds.  She told me that TV is a background noise,  I told her, "Not when I am listening to the news."  Today, I left the normal setting on all day.  It was a problem when I would use the machines at work.  Because they are loud, that program cuts them way down so my ear won't be damaged.  That leaves me a little time when I can't hear anything.  The rest of the time, I did seem to hear better.  I will try that program for a few days and see how it goes.

Often when people who have been deaf for a long time are provided with a way to hear - i.e., hearing aids, Cochlear Implants, or other devices, they just can't stand all the noise.  I guess in a way, I am like that.  Lots of noise begins to get to me after a while.

Before going to the office, I worked on rehearsal dinner table decorations.  There are still a lot of finishing touches to work on and my time has been limited, but it will all get done and I have some great helpers coming to work with us.

Things at the office kept me occupied all day.  There was a good variety of customers.  Ron was out for a while in the late morning and again in the late afternoon.  It was one of those days where some of the customers didn't engage their brains before they came.  One man asked for two copies of his key.  After I made them, he pulled out a lock to try them.  They didn't work.  I asked to see his key again (I had returned it to him with the new keys).  He gave it to me and I tried it in the lock.  It didn't work.  Duh...  if your key doesn't work, getting a copy of it won't help.  So that was the kind of day it was.

I had a few notes from friends that needed to be answered and I ordered a few items on line.  It was time to restock my Kindle.  I got several things done at the office that needed my attention.  There are a couple of other things I must get done tomorrow.  I can't believe it is only 3 1/2 weeks until our son's wedding.  Pray for them as they try to do all the things that need to be done, that they can enjoy this special time in their lives.  He called a couple of days ago to say that they had gotten their marriage license.  What special memories they are storing away, and a digital camera is always nearby to document them all.  We are so happy for them.

On the way home I went by Mom's house and also stopped to pay the utility bill for the office.  This was a beautiful day with a totally clear sky all day and very little wind.  A cool front came through while we were out of town last weekend and left a variety of broken limbs in the back yard - nothing large, but still they will have to be picked up.

We met with our friends for supper, the ones we usually eat with on Friday nights.  It is always fun to catch up with news from them.  It seems we always have plenty to share with them.  We always laugh a lot when we are together and so it is a relaxing time together.

4 comments:

  1. Linda, thank you for sharing your day with us. I enjoyed "walking with you" ...felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could "walk together" in person, but this is the next best thing.

      Delete
  2. Give those "supper friends" hugs for me....I miss them, too. Praying the adjustments to your processor will continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass on your greetings to them and share the hugs. We all miss you.

      Delete