Tuesday, October 21, 2014

October 18, 2014

Saturday Shower and a Birthday
October 18, 2014
 
 
Saturday morning we got up early and dressed for the bridal shower for our soon  to be daughter-in-law.  We made a couple of quick stops on our way and arrived at the home for the shower right on time.  The home was lovely and there were fresh flowers and flowering plants throughout the house.
 

The shower was also a brunch and the table was lovely and the food was delicious.  The hostesses were so kind.  I have been able to make a new friend, besides the bride's mother, through these events, and it is the bride's mother's best friend.  The lady is named Linda Lee just like me, and she is deaf in one ear,  We do have a lot in common including a love for the Lord and for the bride's family.
 

Most of the guests were young and knew each other and had fun visiting.  Some are going to be bridesmaids and so there was a lot of fun chatter going on.  They had a great time.  I had a lot of trouble hearing in that type of setting.  As I have mentioned before I tend to head for the kitchen to visit one-on-one with whoever is in the kitchen, hearing 90% of what is said, instead of being in a room filled with people talking where I may hear 20%. 
 
Bride on the left and her maid of honor on the right
 
The invitation to the shower was addressed to both of us and we found out it was so Ron could keep the bride's step-dad company.  We really enjoy this great man and so they had a good time chatting and laughing about being at a bridal shower.  The practice would come in handy since they got to do it again the next evening.
Serious discussion
I must confess, I knew Saturday would be Ron's birthday, but when I woke up I forgot.  As we drove on to Dallas, he began to receive text messages wishing him a Happy Birthday.  He spent the day joking about, "What more could a man want for his birthday than to go to a bridal shower and shopping for a dress?" (the dress was for me).
 
A unique gift
Following the shower, Ron and I went to two malls and seven stores before I found the dress I will wear to the wedding.  At that store, there were actually two that would do and Ron wanted me to buy both of them, but I just couldn't do that.  I don't have places to wear them.  One was in teal and the other purple - my two favorite colors to wear - and it was a little hard to select especially since there was a big price difference and of course I wanted the more expensive one.  In the end, it won out.  So I will be the one in purple at the wedding.
 
The bride's mom, the bride and me
Poor Ron.  I didn't even do his birthday shopping,  I did know he wanted a new pair of Crocs and we found a Crocs store at one of the malls, so I let him pick out two pairs.  He teased the bride that they were for the wedding and I must say, she has a look she can give him that lets him know "That's not funny."  They are so funny together.
 

The shopping took all afternoon and before long it was time for Stephen to get off work and we met the groom and bride-to-be, and her parents for a birthday dinner for Ron at Olive Garden.  It was a very good, productive, festive day and I think we were all exhausted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment