Saturday, June 28, 2014

June 28, 2014

Filled-Up Friday and Sewing Saturday
June 28, 2014



Again I am covering two days.  Friday was another full day.  After taking care of the usual things at the house, I started the day with another trip to the Sprint Store.  I had a problem last week with the phone thinking I was roaming when I wasn't - in other words, they might add extra charges.  When I first got there, a young lady said, it was an easy fix.  She said the problem was due to the technicians working on the towers and she could easily fix the phone.  Wrong.  She next had the repairman work on it and after 20 minutes I told her I would leave it and be back later for it.  They called about the time I got to the office to say it was ready.

I did some office work.  Before long it was time for me to go to a scheduled mammogram appointment.  When I got there, they asked when my appointment was - like they weren't aware of it, but I was quickly called in.  My appointment was for 11:30 and I was pulling OUT of the parking lot to leave after the appointment at 11:30.  Nice.  Then I went to get my phone.  They have been nice at the Sprint Store, but I hope not to see them again for a while!  When I finished there I had a text that my grandson would like a ride to work.  He had slept-in and was now ready to come to work.

He was ready when I got to their house and after hugging the other grandchildren, we went to the office - in time for lunch.  Ron has always laughed about employees who arrive in time to eat.  Our grandson and I did some jobs and then he left to work with the man from our church who works with the boys on Friday afternoons.  The rest of the afternoon I spent doing some computer work and a little cleaning on my desk.

Our usual Friday night dinner partners were not available, so we came home and had left-overs.  I was asleep by 8:00.  That is why there was no blog yesterday.  Of course that meant that I woke up before my alarm went off this morning.  I was up by 5:45.  I started doing laundry and some kitchen work.  I was in the garage doing laundry when my housekeeper arrived - about 30 minutes early.  God must have told me to look out the window because I didn't have my Cochlear sound processor on yet since she was so early.  She said she had just rung the bell when I opened the door.  I didn't hear the bell at all.

I spent much of the morning in the sewing room working on cleaning the sewing table and trying out a new pattern I had seen on a video yesterday.  After making a couple of blocks, I decided it was easy enough for our granddaughters to be able to make them.  I had a text from our daughter-in-law asking if I wanted some leftovers from a party the previous day that was given for our son who is changing jobs.  I told her I would take sandwiches and girls.  She brought me some of each.

First I showed the girls the new block I thought that they could make.  They were excited about trying it.

 This is the block.  The oldest granddaughter worked with this color grouping.
  
She got right to work on her blocks. 


The rest of the day was spent in the sewing room with the girls.  They did a great job on the sewing and had a wonderful time.  I don't recall my mom allowing me to use her sewing machine at their ages - maybe she did and I just forgot, but I am so amazed with what they make when left on their own.  The girls are 8 and 10.
These are the color combinations our second granddaughter was working with. 
The second of the girls got off to a slow start since she was trying to use my older sewing machine and it was giving her some problems.  They do both like my good machine!
 Once she got a turn at the good machine, she quickly had things under control.

The cutting was my job.  The oldest of the girls loves to iron so she did a little of the cutting and most of the ironing as well as her own sewing.  They took turns with the good machine and by lunch time they each had the first set of triangles around the center blocks on 16 squares each.  They had just started adding the second set of triangles.


After they got a little of the second stage done, they wanted to take a break and play with my miniature General Store.  Before I found the world of quilting, I used to build miniature houses and stores, etc.  I will only let them play with this one when the younger kids aren't here.
They clean the store for me each time they play with it.
I love seeing them enjoy the things that I do.  We had a great time.

While they played, I baked a chocolate cake and then introduced them to the joy of eating hot cake right out of the oven with butter on it instead of frosting.  I am sure their mother would rather I taught them some other things, but I want them to have all the joys in life!

We returned to the sewing room and they spent a little time working on their quilts, but then started on projects of their own design.  The younger on started with the scrap box and pieced a little quilt in a rather primitive style, just adding pieces where she wanted with some raw edges showing and some not.  Then she made another about the same size and sewed them together in layers so that it was like a reversible quilt.  She had that sewing machine humming - and she was using the old one.
The front of her little quilt that she designed.
The back of the quilt.

Meanwhile, her older sister was making a purse.
Our daughter-in-law texted and asked if I could take the girls to a party they were to attend - she was running late.  I took them and then went to the grocery store.  
While the girls were here, I did well with the Cochlear Implant.  I rarely had to ask for things to be repeated.  The time at the grocery store was nice.  When I have the program on that takes down background noises, a trip to the grocery store is not too bad.

It was 8:00 before I got home and I must admit that I was tired.  Mom stopped by with some plants for my garden!  They are lovely!


I made frosting for the rest of the cake and fixed an easy supper for Ron and me.  Stephen called this evening and I did a little better with him on the speaker phone.  I had a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment