Thursday, June 12, 2014

June 12, 2014

Medical Appointments Increase
 Along with Our Ages
June 12, 2014



For the second year now, I carry a small leather bound calendar in my purse - one of those daily appointment style calendars.  Sadly, it gets used way too often for appointments at various medical offices.  When I go to offices for appointments, I am always concerned that I won't hear my name called.  Some nurses and doctors remember my special needs, but others don't remember that I need a little extra attention.  Today I had two appointments starting at 1:00 this afternoon.

Several years ago I was found to have a couple of thyroid cysts.  I have been getting them checked regularly for probably about 5 years now.  If there are no changes from the previous visit for a couple of times, they go to yearly checkups.  If there are any changes, they go to checkups every 6 months.  I am currently on a six month schedule since last time there was a change.  Today I was scheduled for a sonogram in San Benito (a small town about 20 miles north of us).  The young lady who does the sonograms is good, kind, and quick. 

After I left that office, I went to Harlingen to the same building where my thyroid doctor's office is located to go to a lab and get blood drawn for testing.  Results from both of those places will be sent to the doctor early next week and I will see her late next week.  Six months ago they did a biopsy (as they had done a few years ago), because there had been a change.  We will see what these results show this time, and see if I stay on a 6 month schedule or a yearly one.

Before leaving Harlingen, I tried to go by my gynecologist's office to make an appointment for a checkup, but it turned out his office had moved and I didn't know that so Ron called when I got back and made my appointment.  They will make my appointment for the mammogram that I am due to have.  I just keep filling in those pages in the calendar.

As I left Harlingen, I made a quick stop at the quilt store, and it really was a quick stop.  There was nothing I really needed, but I checked their sale items and made a quick walk around their small shop and left in about 3 minutes, empty handed.  Next stop was Chick-fil-A at 2:30 for my lunch.  As I headed back to the office, I stopped by PaperJay for the project I am checking on and talked to them some more and placed an order.

At the office, Ron had some customers and then left to go pick up prescriptions for his mother and to repair a lock for my mother.  I got a few things done in the office before I went to Harlingen and then again while he was gone this afternoon.  Once we closed the office, we met my mom for supper and had a nice visit and some good food.

Ron and I both spent time working in the yard once we got home.  I had also spent time working out there this morning before it got too hot.  Today was a very warm day!  Summer is here.  Late in the evening I visited with our son Bob and his wife by phone.  It was good to catch up on their activities. 

Ron and I are thankful to both have generally good health.  I know that there have been a lot of medical issues the last year and a half, but we both still make it to work most days.  He uses a cane a few days a year, but that is the only outward appearance of physical limitations, and he usually only uses one when there is a major weather change.  He moves slowly, but always has.  I pamper my left arm now a little, but I can't think of anything it has stopped me from doing lately and the hearing only limits me in what I believe I can deal with socially.  Tonight at supper Mom mentioned a party that we had been invited to this past Monday that we missed due to the Houston trip.  She had gone but said it was very noisy and I would have had a hard time dealing with all the noise.  True.  We are aging.  We are slowing down.  We are thankful for everyday we have and the vast majority of those days are great!

2 comments:

  1. Story of my life!! If I never see another Dr again, it will be wonderful. No chance!!! Houston mammogram went smoothly but the Dr found enlarged lymph nodes in both armpits. I'm sure it has to do with the CLL, but she wants me to have it checked----so I'll call the oncologist I'm seeing in Austin on Monday. GRRRRRRR!

    Can't believe you walked through Picket Fence and didn't buy anything!!! Praying you get good reports on the tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny, so sorry you have to go back to the Austin oncologist. Just when you think you have a few weeks off! Praying all tests are fine for both of us.

      Delete