Saturday, June 21, 2014

June 21, 2014

Hot, Busy Day of Yardwork
June 21, 2014


Thankfully I mowed the yard yesterday so today could be spent on other yard work.

This morning I was up early and started with laundry as I waited for the housekeeper to come.  She was a little later than usual, but got the house nice and clean.  It is always such a blessing to know she is coming to work her wonders on our house.  As soon as she got here, I went to the backyard and started by filling ponds (actually took time to clean one of them out) and fill the feeders.
I started weeding the area for the new flower bed and decided I needed before and after photos. 
It didn't feel too hot, so I decided to start working on the flower bed that Ron and I had decided to put in the yard.  Well, OK, truth be told, I decided and he went along with it. First I started weeding the area.  Ron had watered the area a few days ago and it was just right for weeding. 
I got the edging stones in place for the bed and then started to dig up the dirt.  I didn't get far because I decided to wait until Ron set the new birdbath in its spot in the flower bed. 
By the time I had done that and some grass trimming, I was hot and tired.  I had continued to do the laundry and was down to the last load.  I came in and cooled off, reading for a while.  Once the housekeeper left, I took a cool shower and returned to reading.
Ron spent much of the afternoon working in the yard.  We have a vine that has tried to take over the yard.  I started with one little cutting about 30 years ago and now we battle it every year.  He took a lot of it our last Saturday and today.  In no time at all, it will be back again.
Ron also set the bird bath in the new flower bed, but doesn't have it hooked up yet.  Hopefully he will get it done tomorrow so I can start planting things in the flower bed.
With the bird bath in place, I finished digging the bed.  I have additional soil to add to make it a raised bed because that part of the yard is a little low.
Ron decided it was time to call it quits for the day.
Our son Bob had called while we worked in the yard.  He talked to Ron for a while and then said he would call me.  I found that my new cell phone is dead.  I can't get it to come on at all.  Last night it had gone a little nuts and thought I was "roaming".  So I don't know what is wrong - Monday I will have to go to the Sprint store.  Ugh!  I did talk to Bob on my speaker phone, but it was difficult.  He finally had made it home from his trip about 24 hours later than planned.
My waterfalls
An oriole stopped by to eat some citrus while I was talking to Bob but I couldn't get to my camera in time for a photo.  The yard was filled with the normal bird visitors any time we weren't working in the yard working today.

No comments:

Post a Comment