Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16, 2014

A Messy Day
June 16, 2014

Somehow, this just turned out to be a day of messes.  I was up rather late last night.  Ron had gone to sleep very early in the evening.  I overslept this morning and he just left me sleeping and went to work.  When I woke up, I texted him to tell him I was up, but it would probably be 10:00 or 10:30 before I got to the office.  I still had some cleaning to do from yesterday's family get together and a few other things.  About 10:00 I was putting things in the car and noticed some dark liquid on the counter in the utility room/pantry.  On closer inspection I found that coffee was all over the counter, soaking the hall runner type rug on the floor in there, and under the microwave on the counter.  Since I don't drink coffee, I could guess who did it, but not how.  Again I texted Ron and told him it would be a while since I was going to clean the mess.  Lots of things on the counter had to be cleaned.  I took the rug into the back yard and hosed it off and left it to dry on a bench.  (It was so hot today, the rug was totally dry when I got home this afternoon.

Later, he told me that he had overslept and in his rush to get to work he dropped a huge mug of coffee and thought he had cleaned it up.  He apologized over and over for me having to clean the mess.  I told him that it wasn't a problem and that he should have gotten me up at the time and I would have cleaned it since he was running late.  I reminded him that he often cleans up my messes. 

As I left for the office about 11:00, I had left the kitchen sparkling clean for the first time in a while and now the utility room was also clean.  At the office, I wrote some letters.  Several times when customers came in Ron was tied up on phone calls so I took care of the customers. 

It was a good day.  We weren't too busy and we had time to chat.  All the boys had been in touch with Ron for Father's Day and he updated me on all that they had to say.  One is off across the country at a conference so it was good to hear that his trip had been good so far.  We discussed various upcoming trips in the next few months.  Every time I think our calendar may be clear for a bit, it fills up again.

I left the office a few minutes early, intending to work in the yard, but it was just too hot.  Later I went out and filled birdbaths and ponds.  The birds need to have lots of water on these hot days.  I watered the plants and looked for a larger pot to re-pot one plant, but didn't find a good choice. 

Once Ron got home I started warming leftovers for our supper.  Just as I had it all ready, I started to get the plates out for us to use.  I reached to the top shelf to get some that I don't use often, to just have a change.  Somehow a stack of plates came crashing down, landing on the counter top and knocking an empty (thankfully) glass bowl off the counter onto the tile floor where I watched it shatter into thousands of tiny pieces.  What a mess!  Ron came to see if I was alright and to find out what happened.  He offered to clean it up and I reminded him of my statement earlier in the day when I told him that he cleans up a lot of my messes.

We worked together to clean up all those fine particles of glass that were everywhere in the kitchen.  Even with both of us working, it took a long time to get it cleaned up.  After supper I was on my hands and knees with damp paper towels finding a few more pieces. 

I am so thankful that the bowl was empty and didn't add a food mess to the broken glass.  I am so thankful that I was wearing my tennis shoes.  This all shattered right around my feet.  I am thankful for a husband who helped me clean the mess and then helped me get the supper on the table.  Over supper we had a nice conversation.  Often our schedules are not the same and we don't always eat together in the evenings.

Once it had cooled off some I did work in the yard and still came in hot and ready for a cool bath.  I don't think you need photos of my messes that I had to clean up today.  I will throw in some flowers from Saturday.
This was at my mother-in-law's house Saturday afternoon.  She had several things blooming besides her lovely Golden Shower tree.
She had a few various flowers in bloom and I enjoyed photographing them.
This is one Ron gave her for Mother's Day.  Don't ask me what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment