Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 14, 2014

A Fish Fry and A Golden Shower Tree
June 14, 2014


This morning I was up early for the housekeeper.  She worked hard while I went to the grocery store.  I shared conversations with two employees at the store.  I asked the clerk (probably about 30 years old) if she had a dad to spend the day with for Father's Day.  She said, no, he had died at 58 years of age from a heart attack.  The man who watches the door at Wal-Mart also told me he had lost his dad.  His dad died on Father's Day (and his wife's mother died on Mother's Day).  I encouraged both of employees to spend time on happy memories of their dads.  These are the type of conversations I gave up trying to have a few years ago since my hearing was so bad.  Now, sometimes I can just strike up a conversation with a stranger.

When I got home I unloaded the groceries and decided it was too hot to work outside as planned.  I spent the next several hours mostly in the kitchen fixing some things to take to the fish fry and for Father's Day lunch tomorrow at our house.  I cooked pinto beans, made green Jell-o salad, and made some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids at the fish fry. 

Ron spent some time working in the yard before we went to the fish fry and again after we got home.  The Fish Fry was an outreach activity for our church held at our son's home.  He has a huge yard and a quiet neighborhood and they had invited people in the neighborhood to come as well as church members.

We arrived at the Fish Fry at 3:30 and it was 97 degrees.  There was very little breeze early in the time at the party, but it picked up a little later.  The fish was outstanding - perfectly cooked and delicious.  What a nice treat.  Our church Disaster Relief team prepared the fish.  

Our youngest granddaughter is shown above, eating one of the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I had taken to the Fish Fry.  I can't believe how much she has grown.  When I went deaf, one of the sad things to me was that this sweet little girl was just one year old, and not talking yet.  I felt that I might never hear her voice.  Now I listen as she talks a blue streak - not that I can always understand her, but others say they also don't always follow her lengthy conversations.  But this afternoon as I asked if she wanted the sandwich - or later - some watermelon, it was nice to be able to hear her answers.


Most of the grandchildren were there.  One was out of town with his cousin, but it is always a treat to spend time with family.


The youth gathered to play games and visit.
Youngsters found a variety of activities to enjoy.
Friends visited in the shade.
The youngest (a sweet 5 month old) slept through it all.

After the party, Ron and I went by his mother's house.  She has a beautiful Golden Shower tree in her front yard.  A storm about 3 years ago badly damaged the tree and we thought it might never bloom again.  This may be its best year yet.
The magnificent clusters of flowers against the backdrop of the crystal blue sky were just breath-taking.  I took a bunch of photos and we both visited with Ron's mom before running another errand on the way home. 

During the evening I talked to our daughter-in-law in New Mexico but the call had a real "tinny" sound and it was hard to understand her much of the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment