Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 18, 2014

Nice Surprises
June 18, 2014

Before going to the office I took care of the bird feeders and the ponds.  I moved the sprinklers around in the backyard and Ron moved the ones in the front.  We both left the house early.

This morning I had to open the office because my husband thought he had a doctor's appointment, which turned out to only be to draw blood before the appointment next week.  Our daughter-in-law, Barb texted to ask if their second son could come to the office for a while.  I told her I would be delighted since Ron was out of the office.  Our grandson ended up staying the rest of the day.  I had him do a few chores for me and we talked and talked.  He has an awesome imagination and it is always fun to see what is going on in his mind. 
He decided this afternoon to figure out how some of the locks work and then diagrammed them.  He took one apart and checked out all the parts and then got it back together without any help.  That is good because I would have been of very little help.

I worked some more on cleaning my desk and made a little progress.  I needed to find a specific old piece of information for Ron and looked for a while to find it by cleaning a book shelf.  It was located - actually I had copies two places.  Maybe that is why my place is a mess, I have duplicates of things.

When talking to my grandchildren, I try to be a little creative in the questions that I ask.  One that I asked today was, "What would you look for in a new church?"  The answer will tell you a lot about the child.  His grandpa walked through about that time and said he thought our grandson would look for girls - our grandson quickly said that would be 5th on the list.  But, a very important thing to him was Bibles.  Do people bring their Bibles, or are there Bibles in the pockets on the back of the pews?  I told him about visiting the church where his dad, and two of our other sons were members over the years while they were at Texas A&M University in College Station.  They were there at different times, but all ended up selecting the same church.  When Ron and I would visit, we loved seeing hundreds of  college-aged young men walking into the worship service carrying their Bibles.  God's Word was defiantly taught in that church.  Our grandson did mention donuts, too, as one criteria for a good church.  The mind of a 14 year old!

At the end of the day, Ron had to go to his mom's house to meet a repairman to have him fix her clothes dryer.  So I had to lock up.  That made a long day for me, but a very nice one as I caught up with my grandson's world.

On my way home, I stopped to pay the utility bill for the office and then came home.  Again, I spent a little time in the yard, but then sat down and read for a bit.  It was a very good day.  I talked to either all my children or their spouses today.  That makes it a good day.  I could hear most of what they said and most of what my grandson said.  That makes it a good day.  Our youngest son called just to say that he was out of debt!  He had recently had just one payment - he has been paying for some major dental work.  We are so proud of the fact that he just finished putting himself through getting his Master Degree and is free of any debt.  What a committed young man he is.  Living in a big city, paying tuition bills every semester, buying books for classes, paying for an apartment, utilities, etc. and God has provided all his needs.  He has worked long hours at his job and been very careful in his spending and was so happy to share that news today.  Great job, son!

Another son is away from his home giving a presentation at a scientific conference this week.  Another son was delighted with a new stove they had just had installed that was a gift.  The remaining son has so much going on in his life there is just no way to cover it all. (Maybe another day.)  We are so thankful for the amazing sons God has given us.  What a joy they all are in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. You and Ron have raised four fine, smart, creative, loving, and Godly men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our parents and grandparents must have taught us how. We are proud of our guys.

      Delete