Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 15, 2014

Fun Father's Day
June 15, 2014

My husband Ron, working on the homemade ice cream.
This has been a delightful day.  There were times I laughed so much I could barely catch my breath.  The only thing that could have made the day better would have been to have all the family here, but we will all be together for a long weekend next month.
These are our four sons.  They are blessed with a great Dad who has helped
 form them into the Godly young men that they have become.

I am thankful for the father that God gave me.  He has been in Heaven for almost 20 years now, but his influence still continues.  He was a kind, gentle man who loved the Lord.  He was honest and fair in his business dealings, and a man who served his community through the Lions Club as well as other ways.  He had a strong desire to place copies of God's Word into the hands of as many people as he could.  He was an active Gideon and besides that, bought cases of Bibles on his own, to give out or to give to others who would pass them on to those who had not read the Bible.  He faithfully taught 9 year old boys in Sunday School for many years and worked on mission projects here and in Mexico.   Daddy loved God and loved his family. 
This is one of the last photos I have of my dad.  This is Mom and Dad in the middle with us four kids: my sister Janet, me, Daddy, Mom, sister Debbie, and brother Gordon.  This was taken just about 20 years ago this month.

The day started with Sunday School and worship services.  We had a great sermon on fathers.  The men's choir for Father's Day was great.  It was good to see one of our sons taking part in it.

Our oldest grandson's first serving at lunch.   
I had told my daughter-in-law for them to all take time to go home and change into comfortable clothes before coming to lunch.  I still had work to do on lunch and that way they could all relax.  Mom came and later our son and the kids came, having left his wife on the phone with her dad.  We had just barely started lunch when she arrived, apologizing for being late.  I told her that talking to her dad (who lives far away and is very ill) is what the day is about and that it was no problem.  I was so late with lunch that she was only a few minutes behind us. 

Our oldest granddaughter's choices.

We had a great lunch of brisket and all that goes with it.  For dessert everyone had the choice of homemade vanilla ice cream or homemade strawberry sherbet.  One of our grandsons had gone to Houston for the weekend with his cousin and he was missed, but the rest of us had a great time.  
Sherbet and ice cream for dessert.  Yummy!

Jeff and his family stayed until about 5:30 and it was a wonderful visit.  A 2 1/2 year old can provide lots of laughs and our little granddaughter did keep us entertained.  How thankful we are to have these times together.

Around 7:00 I fell asleep reading and woke at 9:30 wide awake.  That is what I hate about naps - then I don't go to sleep at a good time.  About 10:30 I talked to our daughter-in-law Vickey.  I always know she is up late.

Hearing at the table today was difficult.  Our young grandson several times would try to ask me a question, but there was so much chatter at the table that he and I would have to go down the hall so he could ask his question where I could hear him.  He is soft spoken. 

1 comment: