Saturday, October 12, 2013

October 12, 2013

Yuck!  I Got Up Way Too Early!
October 12, 2013

This morning made up for yesterday morning when I had overslept.  This morning Ron woke me about 5:30 to tell me he was going to the office because he had gotten a call that the alarm was going off.  When that happens, I can't get back to sleep until I know that all is well.  Thankfully, all was fine, but it was 6:30 before Ron got home and my alarm was to get me up at 6:15, so no more sleeping.  He did pick up Shipley Donuts for me on his way home so that helped!

Ron left for the morning and I waited for my housekeeper to come and started the laundry.  After she arrived, I took care of ponds and birdbaths in the backyard and filled bird feeders and cleaned hummingbird feeders and refilled them. 
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
 

There are two kinds of hummingbirds that are common in our area: the Buff-bellied Hummingbird lives here year around, and the Ruby-throated Hummingbird migrates through Fall and Spring, but a few are here year around. 
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 
There is about a one inch size difference and the Buff-bellied Hummingbirds use their size advantage to try to show who is in charge.

As I worked in the yard this morning and again later in the day, I could hear the hummingbirds and could tell that the calls for the two types are very different.  I had not noticed that in the past.  I could hear them calling AND zipping past my ears as they would hurry to the feeders. 

After taking care of the birds, I went to the grocery store, and stopped at the bank to make a deposit before I came home to put things away.  The girl at the drive-up window, working on my deposit for the business, kept trying to tell me something, but I could not hear her well enough to understand.  I finally told her to give me the deposit back, I would come home and put away the groceries, and then return and go inside the bank instead of using the drive up where it can be harder to hear.  When I got home I double checked the deposit and I had $20 cash too much in it.  I remembered in my hectic trip back to the office last night (after coming home to meet the exterminator), that when I finished I couldn't find a $20 bill of mine I had laid on my desk.  I was running so late in taking supper to Ron's mom for her birthday, that I decided to worry about it Monday.  Now I know where it went!  Why she couldn't say, "You have $20 too much cash in the deposit,"  I don't know.  She would rattle off about 6 sentences rapidly and I just couldn't understand her.  Hearing at drive-up windows is very difficult for me!

Around 11:30 Ron came back and said he had just had another call from the alarm company so he was going back to the office.  Since it was now daylight, he was able to discover what he thinks caused the false alarms: a spider had built a web in front of the sensor and when he would go across his web, he would set off the alarm.  We hope that is all it is and that we won't keep getting these. 

My sister called and invited us to meet her and Mom at Oyster Bar for lunch.  That is my sister's favorite place to eat when she is in town.  Ron stayed home to work on the yard.  As I returned from lunch, I stopped to get my car washed with a coupon that was only good through today.  After I drove out of the wash, I stopped the car to extend my side mirrors and the car would not start again.  I texted Ron to ask him to come to my rescue.  He came but couldn't get it started so he brought me home and called Triple AAA.  They came and got it going and Ron drove it home and then I went with him to go get his car.  First thing Monday morning, my car needs to go to the car hospital!

By the time all that was done, it was time to start cooking chicken to make the chicken salad I planned.  Chopping up things like celery, onions, etc. is painful with my weak arm, so I had to work carefully, trying to find non-painful ways.  I think all I can say is the salad is delicious and it has been a very long day.  I am hoping tomorrow is not full of the unexpected!

No comments:

Post a Comment