Monday, September 23, 2013

September 23, 2013

A Long Day
Monday, September 23, 2013

For some unknown reason, I woke up before 3:00 a.m. and didn't get back to sleep.  A little before 6:00 I got up and got ready for the day.  Physical Therapy exercises went quickly today.  For a while, I was the only patient there and things progressed one right after the other with no gaps waiting for a therapist to be available.  I started with 12 minutes on the exercise bike, peddling with my right hand and the left one just along for the ride.  Then the pulley exercises followed by various hand and wrist exercises and finally the heat and electronic stimulator, followed by a massage of the arm. I was finished a little after 9:00 and went to the shop to open up earlier than anticipated. 

The day was busy at the shop.  There were a lot of customers and often they come in wanting a medical report.  One who comes in fairly often had seen my sign on the door saying that due to medical needs our hours this week would be: 10:30 - 5:00.  He wanted to know what was up.  We had a good visit and it is always nice to know how much our customers care about us.  He was keenly interested in my hearing loss and my Cochlear Implant.

Frankly, I was ready for closing time to come before it arrived.  On the way home I stopped for a carwash.  I had to coupons for carwashes that expire tomorrow, so wanted to take care on one right away.  I came home, checked on Ron who was reading in bed.  I checked the mail and found Ron had a cute get-well card from a couple who live up-state.  The bird feeders and birdbaths had not gotten done before I left this morning, so I did them, started supper (broccoli soup), took Ron's car to the carwash, came home and finished the soup to find Ron sleeping.  He never woke up for supper. 

Again, I found I had not planned ahead well enough.  Especially since Ron didn't eat, I had a large bowl of soup to get in the refrigerator: one-handed.  I considered waking him to help.  Oh, sure.  I could just picture him carrying it while on crutches!  Grrr...  I waited until it cooled and then managed it.  I hated to divide it into small bowls, since space was limited in the refrigerator.  It is a constant challenge to remember those things and plan for them.  I can use the arm for some things - just not heavy bowls. 

At the office, I did clear the workspace in front of my chair at my desk for the first time in a while.  I did some reading, texted a list of things to Ron for him to call in an order for me, waited on many customers, and did a little cleaning in the front.  Sure wish both hands were working while I have time to do some cleaning with Ron not there!

Hope to get to bed early since I have to have Ron in Harlingen at 8:15 for a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning. 


  1. Praying for healing, strength endurance and patience---for you and Ron, and for me!