Tuesday, November 10, 2015

November 9, 2015

A Long Talk With a Customer
November 9, 2015


 
What a day!!  I was up on time.  Got things done at the house, made my lunch and was at the office a couple of minutes ahead of when I told Ron I would be there.  Lately that hasn't happened much.

Ron had a long list of jobs to do today and was out of the office all day, once I had arrived.  I had a steady stream of customers and was also trying to deal with that bank statement that I started to balance on Friday.  I can't believe how long it took me to figure out what the credit card provider had done.  Once I had finally taken care of that chore, I spent the rest of the time on preparing a bank deposit.

Just before closing time as I was readying things to go to the bank, Ron came in and brought me a check to deposit, so I prepared a second deposit while he picked up a few things and left again on jobs.  He still had a couple of jobs to do.

I went to the bank on my way home.  I made 3 medium size pans of King Ranch Chicken when I got home.  One was for supper, one for leftovers and one for the freezer.  It was yummy.

Thanks to my Cochlear Implant, I was able to have a long talk with a customer during the afternoon.  The customer was one I don't remember seeing before.  Her son served in the Marines and for a while was stationed in Iraq.  He is now in a wheel chair for the rest of his life due to two bullets he took in his back.  He has gone through some rough emotional times learning to deal with it.  While he has been receiving treatment for several years, she has spent most of her time in the city where he is being treated; often cooking Mexican food for many of the others who are dealing with their severe injuries.  She told me how many of those she has known have committed suicide in the last few years.  It was way TOO many.

As we approach Veterans' Day this week, it was a sobering conversation to know of the frustrations these men are facing and the difficulties they continue to have dealing with the VA hospitals.  We must as a nation, find ways to help these men deal with a different life than they expected to have.  Her son is studying to be a chef and doing very well in the school he is attending, but still deals with depression and anger over his limitations.  This week (and every week) we need to spend time in prayer as a nation for these brave men and women who have given so much as they fought to try to keep our nation safe and to free others from brutal dictators.  May God bless our service men and women.

No comments:

Post a Comment