Friday, February 6, 2015

February 6, 2015

A Lot of Activity 
Packed into One Day
February 6, 2015


Black-bellied Whistling Ducks

This morning we were up early and I was soon working in the kitchen after my shower.  Ron left for work a little early and shortly after that, Tiny arrived in the kitchen.  I went out in the yard to chase ducks away and to fill the ponds.  These ducks and I have an ongoing battle and they usually win.  They eat the birdseed, trample the yard, they are noisy, and their only redeeming quality is that they are pretty.  Tiny and I visited and before we knew it, it was time to go to the office where a friend of ours was picking her up so she could go to spend a few hours working with the Quilt Group.  They make quilts to give away to people for various occasions. 
They are waiting for me to go in the house so they can come back up in the yard.

While Tiny was with the Quilt Group, I was at the office working.  Ron left right away after I arrived at the office, to go on a job and I started filling hooks with key blanks.  Many were empty or nearly empty and I hung hundreds of them this morning.  I did a lot of walking back and forth to get them filled.  I need to spend more time on them soon, but I did get the main ones done today.

 Some chose to wait on the roof for me to go back inside instead of getting wet in the resaca.
 
When Ron got back, we both worked on some things that needed to be put away or cleared.  Then about 11:00 I left to go to Mom's house to get her to take her to a doctor's appointment.  The doctor's office had called her yesterday to tell her she needed to come in before he could refill a prescription that she would need in a few days.  We had to wait a while, but her doctor is very kind, considerate, and patient.  He wants Mom to regain her energy and strength and to eventually get off all the medications, but not so fast that she backslides on the great progress she is making.  I think he really has her best interests at heart.  Again, he spent about an hour with us and went over all her meds and made suggestions on how to adjust them to meet the specific needs.

When we left his office, we went to the pharmacy to leave copies of the two prescriptions and to get a few groceries for Mom at H.E.B.    Following that, I took her home and returned to my office.  Ron soon left on a couple of jobs and was gone most of the rest of the day.  While he was gone I had a good number of customers coming in for keys.  I will share with you about one of them.

The man who came in, is in law enforcement.  He is getting close to retirement age and we talked about the problems on our Southern border.  If you watch the news you may know that earlier this week there was a running gun battle across the river in Mexico with probably 2 gangs involved or the Mexican government troops and a gang.  It is hard to tell what goes on over there because the media is rather quiet on the subject other than telling people for the last few days not to go across in to Mexico! 
Friends standing in front of the Border Wall a couple of years ago.
This "Wall" separates the United States from Mexico.

Most of the news that got out about this battle was through the social media: Twitter, Facebook, etc.  People in Mexico were letting friends and family members in Mexico and the U.S. know what was happening.  It is a serious situation.  We do not feel the danger here in Brownsville, as it is rare that the problems "spill over" across the border, but it is so sad what the people in Mexico are going through who are not involved in the drug gangs but have their lives turned upside down by the criminal element.  We talked about the good and the bad of his job.

It was a great conversation and at some point I mentioned going deaf and having a Cochlear Implant.  He said he was astounded because he never would have guessed I had a hearing problem.  He said, "You are hearing me just fine."  I told him that it was only because of the Cochlear Implant and God's timing that I am able to hear him talking.  It was a good visit (never saw him before that I know of) and again I was reminded of how thankful I am to be able to hear conversations with strangers as well as with family and friends.

After the Quilt Group meeting, Tiny and our friend went to Harlingen to Picket Fence Quilt Shop and did a little shopping.  She met us at Luby's for supper with our friends the Lawlers and we had a nice long visit.  Once we got home Tiny worked on her quilt and I showed her some of my works in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment