Thursday, February 12, 2015

February 11, 2015

Hello, 69!
February 11, 2015



This is being written on the 12th of February, but it covers the 11th so I am dating it that way.  The 11th, my 69th birthday was so packed with fun, food, family, and friends, that I was too sleepy to try write the blog last night.  Talking to my daughter-in-law, Vickey, I kept almost falling asleep and she realized it was time to let me go to bed.  I had not talked to her in about a week and a half and had so many things to ask her about, but my brain had turned to fluff.

My 69th birthday was one of the best.  My friend Tiny was still with us until early afternoon and so we packed a lot into the morning.  Ron was up early and went to Shipley Donuts to get me my favorite donuts (cherry filled) for breakfast.  Then he had a nice assortment of gifts for me.  He did a great job with the help of his personal shopper, David.  He left for work about the time Tiny got up.  We took our time getting ready as Tiny was taking her luggage with us since the plan was to go to the airport from work.

Once we settled in at work, a man came to work on our Wi-fi and needed to be in my office in the spot where I sit.  We moved to the showroom, but soon decided it was going to take him a while and Ron planned to stay in the shop all day setting up locks for other jobs, so we left and let him handle it.

Earlier in her visit, Tiny had mentioned the possibility of shopping downtown and we had not had time so she asked about that.  I was more than willing to go, and we headed that way.  There was a perfect parking place on a corner between the two places we were going - perfect!  I got a car wash while I was at it.  Tiny found a few things at each of the two stores, so we felt successful in that project.  We picked up lunch at Chick-fil-A and took it to our house to eat and relax before time to go to the airport. 

We headed to Harlingen in plenty of time for her plane but as soon as we got to the expressway, it was backed up for a long way.  We stayed on the access road and managed to do fine and once back on the freeway, we were able to get her to the airport on time.  It was hard to say good-bye.  We both agreed we had a wonderful visit.  We also agreed that neither of us knew how it would go since it was her first trip back since her husband had died and that it was a long stay, but we had a great time.  If you ever want to know how to be a great house guest, ask Tiny; she knows the secret. 

From the airport I made a stop at the quilt shop in Harlingen but didn't buy anything.  Then on my way back into town I stopped to talk to a good friend.  We had not made time for each other lately and it was time to change that.  We had a great talk and we hope to start meeting for supper on a regular basis.  Friendships take time and we have neglected that. 

Next, I went to our son Jeff's house.  He was out of town and on his way back and made it about the time we finished eating.  It was good to be with his family.  I love to see my granddaughters designing with Legos.  I played with the youngest for a while with the Legos and then Barbara served a delicious Mexican food supper of rice, beans, and enchiladas. 

The four oldest children had left for activities at the church shortly after I got there and they were missed.  Our second oldest grandson had decorated my birthday cake that had been made by our oldest granddaughter.  What fun.  He got distracted by my sister as he was decorating and made one little error.  Maybe he is part Amish.  I know they choose to put a small error in their quilts so that they will be humble.  Only God is perfect.  Yummy cake.

Gifts were opened and we stayed to visit for a while.  The antics of the little kids kept us laughing.  It is always fun to be in their home.  When I first arrived, I had a call from our son in San Antonio and had a good talk with him.  He did have to repeat a lot.  On the way home I talked to our son in Albuquerque and later to his wife who is visiting her family in East Texas for a couple of weeks. 

Mom, Janet, and Joe Bob had gone out to Loop Farms during the afternoon and picked up this huge cabbage for me.  It is beautiful.  There were other gifts from them but this is unique.  Mom had also gotten me a lovely house plant.
Hearing is still hard on the phone.  Hearing at the dining table is a challenge, but thankfully my family is patient.

2 comments:

  1. Can't tell you how good it felt to be in your home and enjoy so much good visiting. Thank you so much for allowing me to invade your territory for so long! You and Ron mean so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your visit was just what I needed - a breath of fresh air. So glad you came and hope you won't wait a year to come back, but whenever it is, you are welcome! Love you!

      Delete