Sunday, February 15, 2015

February 14, 2015





Valentine's Day 2015
February 14, 2015


Flowers from a sweet young lady at church.


The day was a rather unproductive, laid-back kind of day.  I slept until 7:00, spent time at the computer until 8:00, spent a little time in the yard filling ponds and feeders for the birds.  Ron had left early and left me a note saying he saw four green jays in the yard before he left.  I later saw one, but that was all.

Around 9:30 I left for the grocery store and had a rather frustrating time.  I did fine with the shopping at the Wal-Mart on the port road, but when I got ready to check out, there were only 2 lanes open for people with a lot of items and many open for people with a few items.  There were only 2 people in front of me but the clerk was slow and chatty and somehow messed up the change for the man in front of me and someone had to be called over to take care of the problem.

It was well over 20 minutes before I got checked out.  I found a manager and mentioned three problems I encountered.  One that bugged me is that they run your check through and return it to you but when you sign the agreement for that, you don't see the total and there was something about additional fees.  The manager said she agreed that was wrong and would have them check on the software.  She said they had been short handed and that was why they didn't have more lanes open (didn't explain why the express lanes were all open). 

Once, home I unloaded the groceries, but only put away the cold things and sat down to relax and read.  I had a scare while at the store.  I thought I had lost my Discover card.  (I found it.)  I was buying a lot of supplies for the office and use that to pay for office purchases.  The last I remembered using it was in Harlingen and I had put it in my right hand pocket next to my phone.  A complete search of my purse proved it was not there.  Once in the car, I felt down on the right hand side of the driver's seat and sure enough, it was there.  It took a while to get my brain to relax over that concern.  So I sat down to read and of course, fell asleep - reading does that to me.

I woke up when Ron came home and we went out in the yard so I could show him a couple of trees I wanted removed.  He accomplished that during the afternoon.  I called to see if I could go to Mom's to pick up her and Carmen.  She said she had a bad cough and would I just come get Carmen - she was going back to bed.  Carmen worked all afternoon and got my house clean and shiny.  She is a hard worker. 

I cut out pieces for 6 quilt squares, but did not do any sewing.  I did laundry and a little cleaning.  At one point, the door bell rang, which is rather rare.  It was a sweet friend bringing me some flowers.  I think they were birthday flowers and so unexpected. 

Then I took Carmen to Mom's and stopped to pick up supper for them on my way.  Mom was much better when we got there.  It was good to see her bright smile again - it had been missing earlier.

Hearing issues were fine most of the day.  The grocery store caused no problems,  I do fairly well with clerks now.  With Carmen, it is not the hearing, it is the understanding since she speaks Spanish.  She knows a little English and I know a little Spanish.  We manage.  It was really an uneventful day and I was ready for one of those!
I added some fern from the yard to the arrangement.  I transplanted this fern to our yard from my grandmother's house almost 38 years ago.  I think of her every time I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment