Monday, February 16, 2015

February 16, 2015

Monday, Again!?!
or 
Time Flies When You are Having Fun
February 16, 2015




As I typed that title, I thought, maybe the first line isn't really true.  At first there was a feeling of, "How can it be Monday again, already?"  Then I thought of all that has gone on since last Monday and that makes it seem like it has been a long time ago.  That made the second title "Time Flies When You are Having Fun" seem more appropriate.  Last Monday my friend, Tiny, was still visiting with us.  That night we went to the Oyster Bar to eat supper with Tiny and Mom.  Tiny wanted fresh fried shrimp while she was here.

Tuesday evening was our quilt group meeting.  That day also, my sister and her husband arrived in town.  Wednesday was my birthday and Tiny and I ended up leaving the office and going shopping down town and then we picked up lunch before I took her to the airport in Harlingen. I stopped at the quilt shop in Harlingen and then at a friend's office.  Next it was time for my birthday dinner at our son's home with my birthday cake which was made and decorated by a couple of our grandchildren.  Thursday was Mom's birthday and we had a birthday dinner at her house followed by a beautiful, yummy cake. 

Friday night it was time for supper with our friends.  Saturday was Valentine's Day and Sunday was busy with church activities and lunch with our son's family and another family.  What a week I have had since last Monday.  As I have mentioned before, we manage to spread out the celebrating for a week for the birthdays.

This morning I over slept again.  Ron was almost ready to leave when I got up.  I asked why he didn't wake me and he said he planned to do it before he left.  He can be very sweet.  I managed to spend a little time in the yard before coming in and getting ready for work.  When I arrived, I saw I had a text from my friend Rhonda and she wanted to know if I could go with her downtown so she could shop for some fabric.  I was glad to go along and we left my office about 11:30.  We were only gone an hour, but accomplished what she needed.  Rhonda is fluent in Spanish and that helps shopping in downtown Brownsville.  She is busy getting ready for her youngest daughter's wedding. 

When I got back to the office I ate lunch and worked on some bookkeeping chores.  Then I cut out some fabric pieces for a quilt.  I have an ironing board, cutting board, and sewing machine in my office, but don't use them too often.  I want to get better about using them when it is slow at the office. 

Just before closing time I left to go by Mom's house on the way home to see how she was doing since she had been having trouble with her cough.  She had just gotten home from the doctor's office.  Our daughter-in-law Barb had taken her.  Barb dropped off a prescription at the pharmacy on her way home and I took Mom to buy groceries.  We each picked up a few things and then I took her home and stayed to visit for a while. 

Mom is doing much better, but the medications cause some problems and she is eager to get off as many of them as she can.  She will need a little time to do that, but should be able to do without some of them.  Each one brings its own set of side effects and none of us like those. 

When my friend Tiny was here we talked a lot about having to depend on others to meet our needs.  None of us like doing that.  Tiny has had to give up almost all driving.  She has lost the sight in one eye due to a serious bout with shingles.  She will only drive short distances in the area where she lives.  It has been very hard for her to give it up.  None of us want to relinquish any of our independence, but sometimes it is for the best. 

When I went deaf I had to depend on my husband for so many things and I still do.  The main thing he still has to do for me is the telephone calls.  He also has to be sure I am up in the mornings after my vibrating alarm goes off.  I can drive, but when we travel together he does all the driving now.  We used to share.  I did make some trips alone, to the Dallas area this past fall, but broke each trip up into 2 days.  One of the medications I take makes me sleepy so it is just too hard to do the trip in one stretch. 

Mom and I talked about the things we do out of habit without thinking about them.  She and I have always been able just to reach up and get something off a high shelf.  We are both learning that sometimes that isn't wise.  We also just twist to get something we need to pickup instead of turning our whole bodies to face the item we need.  Old habits die hard.  Many of us carry things that are heavier than we need to be carrying.  A friend posted yesterday that after she carries 5 gallon water bottles, her knees hurt for a couple of days.  I suggested 3 gallon jugs.  That is what we use and still, I ask Ron to put them on the counter for me.  I can do it, but usually pay a physical price for doing it.  I used to have no problem with the 5 gallon bottles.  Now I would not try one at all.

Ron mentioned that he sees his mother slowing down a little more.  She is almost as old as my mom who just turned 92.  We are so thankful to both have our moms and to see them mentally alert and happy.  Ron's mom has more physical problems than my mom, but she stays busy with reading and handwork, and craft items.  She enjoys her days.

Most of us have some weakness that slows us down as we get a little older.  For me, of course the hearing is a big adjustment.  For Mom right now, it is her back.  Ron's mother also suffers a lot with back pain from bone spurs in the spine and knee trouble.  I hope that each of us can grow old gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment