Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February 3, 2015

Quilting Fun
February 3, 2015


Two Black-bellied Whistling Ducks and one White Ibis
Today started wet and chilly.  Tonight is cold and pouring rain.  The day has been mostly cold and drippy, but this evening we have had some heavy showers.  On the way to the office this morning I took Tiny to spend the day with a friend from church and the quilt group.  They had a great visit and made some progress on their quilt projects.  As I pulled away from my friend's house I spotted about 75 of the Whistling Ducks across the street and a couple of White Ibises.  What a bunch!  Some thought I might have food and headed my way.
Hungry Ducks
As soon as I got to the office, Ron prepared to leave for a job at the other end of the valley.  He was gone until just before closing time this afternoon.  I did some cleaning this morning and made so great progress.  I had lots of customers to wait on and some interesting conversations.  One lady who looked to be in the mid-thirties said she is 51 and come to the United States as a migrant worker with her family at 9 years of age.  She worked in the fields from that age until 21 and has been a housekeeper ever since.  She was a delight to chat with.
A small portion of the flock of ducks
The most interesting customer was a man who will have to come back tomorrow for Ron to help him with his unique need and I told Ron he will fully enjoy working for the man.  We shared a lot of laughs.  He has a great outlook and had some great stories to share.  Both of these customers were a blessing to listen to.  Both had worked hard for many years but had terrific attitudes.  The woman who is a house keeper, has some aches and pains, but has an amazing outlook and credits God for taking care of her.  I was glad to get to talk to them.  I have missed much in the years when my hearing was so bad, but like the house keeper, I want to have a good outlook and enjoy the good times.
White Ibis
While Ron was up the valley, he was able to have lunch with our son Jeff in McAllen.  They used to try to meet for breakfast once a week when Jeff worked here in town, but have had very little time since he started working in McAllen, to sit down and visit together.

Our grandson
Our oldest grandson came in this afternoon and helped me until almost closing time.  I was glad to have him there and he had a great visit with a retired policeman who was sharing stories with him about things he has learned in life.  Maybe since it was cold and wet, customers were not eager to go back outside, and stayed to visit.
The drive home
After work I stopped to pick up supper.  Ron was at his Mom's and Tiny was with our friend.  I ate and then worked on the sewing room before the quilt group arrived.  One friend did not come due to having a bad cold.  The rest were here along with Tiny and Carmen, so there were 7 of us, each working on our own projects.

Carmen worked on the hand work on a scarf I was making.

Mom read, while Tiny cut red and white squares.

Katrina worked on a scarf.
Dolores worked on some quilt squares.

Gayla had to leave early to help a friend.
I added 6 more blocks to my quilt project. 

It was a good, productive day and I enjoyed it a lot. I must get to bed.  I have to take Mom to a doctor's appointment early tomorrow morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment