Monday, September 29, 2014

September 26, 2014

Flexible Friday
September 26,2014



Sometimes things happen and we just have to be flexible and "go with the flow."  When I went to bed Thursday night I thought that Ron and I would be going to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to see my Mom and give my sister a little break.  But on Friday morning, he encouraged me to go by myself and to go as far as San Antonio that night and on to my sister's Saturday morning.  Also, we were waiting to talk to my sister and see how Mom was  doing Friday morning before I made the decision about going.  The procedure Mom had on Thursday afternoon did not seem to help the pain and she was discouraged. 

In all honesty, I felt I needed to be there but I had not driven on a long trip alone since my Cochlear surgery.  As most of you know, the hearing is far from perfect with the Cochlear Implant.  I would not trade it for anything, but it is still not perfect, so it means I have some limitations.  I know some things were going on that my husband wanted to be home for but he may have been wanting to "push" me a little to step out and do something that scared me a little. 

It was a hard decision to make and he would have taken me if I had insisted, but I knew I needed to do it alone.  One thing that happens when I travel alone (even driving to work), I no longer listen to the radio or play music.  The sounds are not pleasant, so that makes for a boring trip, but the scenery was lovely.


On Friday morning I went to the office and took care of some chores.  There were some bills to pay and I went to Mom's house to get her car for my trip.  The a/c  in mine was not working.  Then I contacted my sister and she said it would be helpful for me to come even with her house full of her family.  She gave me a list of things to bring to Mom so I went back by Mom's house to get those things. 
I picked up some lunch on my way home to pack.  It was 2:00 on the dot when I left for San Antonio.  It was an overcast day and I went through rain off and on all the way to San Antonio.  My husband texted me to warn me of heavy rain in San Antonio and that started about the time I got to San Antonio.  Naturally it was getting dark, it was thankfully after rush hour.  Actually the traffic seemed lighter than I ever recall on the drive across San Antonio.   I felt that the road had been cleared for me.  One friend had prayed a "hedge of protection" around my car as I traveled and I felt God was answering that prayer.  Beautiful clouds the whole way.

I arrived at my son's home at 7:00 on the dot - not too bad considering I had to wait for 15 minutes at the check point.  His wife and the kids were at a football game so he and I went to Cracker Barrel for supper and had a very relaxing visit.  When we returned home we visited and each spent time on our computers.  When Diana and the kids arrived we visited and I must say I was too exhausted to do a blog.  It had been a hard day, but it was good to know I could make the drive alone. 

Mom continued to have severe muscle spasms and pain and I was eager to get to see her the next day.  I asked David to get me up at 6:00 since I had not brought my vibrating alarm clock.  Sorry I had to have my son do that on a Saturday morning but I wanted an early start to the rest of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment