Monday, September 1, 2014

September 1, 2014

Enjoying Labor Day
September 1, 2014



Today looked was very pretty from the window in my sewing room, but outside it was hot and muggy.  When I would take my camera outside, or point it out the open window, the lens would fog up.  Then it would be about 10 minutes before I could take photos. 

This morning, as I had expected, I woke up much earlier than I needed to be up.  I was awake before my alarm that was set for a regular work day.  I got up and worked in the kitchen for a while before deciding to bake oatmeal cookies.  I had breakfast and then after finishing the cookies, I drove to Harlingen to shop at Picket Fence - the nearest quilt shop.  They were having a very tempting sale.  Quilt fabric prices have sky rocketed the last couple of years with the fabric now selling in the $10 - $13 range.  For today's sale, it was 30% off any fabric as long as you bought 1 yard or more.  It was time for me to stock up on fabrics to use for the sashings and bindings on my quilts.  The sashing is the frame around each quilt block.  I spent about an hour making selections and also bought thread.  It was quiet when I was there.  I had thought there might be a crowd but the sale started last Friday, so much of the time I had the place to myself.

While the clerk cut my fabric selections, I had a conversation with her.  The reason I mention that is because I have been going to this quilt store since shortly after it opened about 15 years ago.  I have intentionally avoided conversations when I go, as I very quietly select my fabrics.  I didn't want them to talk to me because I knew I would have trouble hearing them.  Most of the ladies who work there are older and their voices aren't very loud.  As I have mentioned, my hearing was very bad long before I went deaf.  Today I intentionally started a conversation and although it was brief and not about anything earth shaking, it was nice to not be afraid that someone would try to talk to me and I would be expected to respond.

Going to Harlingen, I passed through a couple of brief rain showers and coming home I went through a very light one.  I stopped at the grocery store for one item for the chicken salad on the way home and got in and out of the store quickly.

Back at home I had lunch and started working on the quilt square I had been working on last night - and finished it!  Yea!  I then started cleaning some in the sewing room.  I had bought a couple of shoe box size storage boxes a few days ago and I use them for "project boxes".  I put a project in progress in each box and then found that I had two additional boxes that were empty and I put projects in them also.  This keeps all parts together and I put the extra fabric I am planning to use in the box so it doesn't get used in another project. 

The wild blocks that I am working on went on the design with the sashing fabric behind them (that I bought this morning) just so I can see if it will look alright.  I am pleased and eager to finish more of the blocks.  I now have 8 of the 12 complete. 
Is that about wild enough?  I couldn't believe that here 12 or so years after I started this quilt, I found a sashing fabric with most of the colors in it that are in the wild blocks. 
After working for a while in the sewing room I spent time in the kitchen preparing the chicken salad and then eating some for supper.  Ron is not feeling well today, so he skipped supper.  It has been a very quiet day at the house with him either reading or watching TV. 

In the late afternoon I spent some time in the yard filling ponds and birdbaths and taking a few photos.  The birds had been at the feeders during the day but had not emptied them.  The hummingbirds were glad I had refilled their feeder a couple of days ago.
Tonight I need to get the sewing room cleaned since the quilt group is to meet tomorrow evening and I have an early morning doctor's appointment for a one year check up on my elbow surgery.  I have very little discomfort from the elbow but it will be interesting to see what the doctor says.


No comments:

Post a Comment