Saturday, September 20, 2014

September 20, 2014

Sunshine and Showers
September 20, 2014


The backyard after I mowed it this morning.
This morning I was up early to greet the housekeeper.  She worked in the house while I worked in the yard.  Ron did a little of both.  I had been wanting to put a flower bed around one of the birdbaths for several weeks and one thing and another (mostly heat) kept me from doing it.  This morning I decided to tackle the project.
Another part of the backyard after I mowed.

First I mowed the backyard; the yardman had done the front yesterday.  Ron has been cleaning an area in the backyard and found a stack of bricks so I had them for the flower bed.  The temperature was not terrible, but there was no breeze and it was very humid.
You can tell by the reflections, there was not a hint of a breeze.
After the mowing, I got out the tools to use for the flower bed.

I had mentioned to Ron that the birdbath had shifted a little and was no longer level, so after I started on the bed, he took the fountain apart and leveled it.
I finished pulling grass and then laying the bricks around the birdbath.  It was a good time to pull the grass since the yard is so wet.
I scrubbed the birdbath before he put it back, and then finished preparing the bed for the plants.  When I finished, I was pleased.  My only problem may be that it doesn't get too much sunshine.
The area to the left of the birdbath is where the bird feeders hang and the ducks keep the grass destroyed in that area.  After I finished the flower bed I saw the white chicken in it.  He better not eat the earthworms I found while digging!
The mosquitoes and I are at war!  They like me.  I don't like them.  I have a mosquito net hood that I put over my hat while I work in the yard.  Then I sprayed my arms and legs with mosquito repellent.  It worked.  I don't think I got any bites this morning and I was out there for about 4 hours.

 I must admit though, I was wringing wet with sweat when I quit.  I had just taken off the hat and Ron grabbed the camera.  Not one of my better photos.  But this is how I looked when I finished.  The hat leaves the hair sticking out every which way!
The tools had to be put up and a bunch of other stuff.  I had just gotten all that done and had come in the house to relax and cool off when it started to rain.  It was just a nice gentle shower. 
Here the flowers are glistening from the rain drops.
I fixed our lunch and then started sewing.  Around 2:00, we had a heavy rain.  It was beautiful.  I know we don't really need it, but it was so beautiful.
When I work in the yard, I usually take off my Cochlear sound processor.  Of course that leaves me deaf, but my head gets so hot and sweaty, that I just don't like wearing the sound processor while I work out there.  After my shower to clean up, I put the sound processor on and could enjoy listening to the rain. 
This White Ibis was wandering through Mom's neighborhood when I  went by her house today.  There are several that stay in her area.

I sewed until about 4:00 and then decided I needed to go get groceries.  I first went by Mom's house and then to the grocery store.  When I got home, Ron unloaded the groceries, but then left to run an errand or two for his mom and missed the good hot supper I fixed.  He got cold leftovers later. 

My mom is still in a lot of pain with her back and is tired of hurting.  My sister continues to take excellent care of her.  Please keep her in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment