Thursday, September 25, 2014

September 25, 2014

A Day When the Clock Doesn't Seem to Move
September 25, 2014


Another rainy day
Over and over in this blog I have mentioned how fast the days, weeks, and months are flying by.  It seems like it was just mid summer and now it is almost the end of September.  That is not the way today felt.  As I waited for news from my sister about my mom's procedure for her fractured vertebrae, the day crawled at a snail's pace.  The clock hardly seemed to move. 

You have heard that a watched pot doesn't boil.  Well, a watched phone doesn't ring, either.  As we waited all day to hear news, my sister sent a few messages, but very little was happening on their end except for waiting, like on our end.  Mom was finally taken into surgery about 4:20 and about 5:15 they told Janet that Mom was in recovery and would be in a room in a while.  Mom was to lie flat for 3 hours and then they would get her up to see if the surgery did what they wanted it to do.  I say surgery, but it was a procedure where they inject the cement over the fracture - not normally what we think of as surgery.

Throughout the day, our sons called to check on Grandma and all I could say was, "No news yet."  It was just about closing time at the office when my sister texted that Mom was out of surgery and had done fine through the procedure.  Not bad for 91 years old. 

That reminds me, two different people today sent me very encouraging bits of information and it was a reminder of what we need to hear while we are waiting to get news on a day like today.  The first was a Winter Texan friend who told me of a friend she had who had this procedure done and walked out of the hospital pain free.  The other was a high school friend who told me that she had worked in a doctor's office and was many times amazed at how well elderly patients tolerated the procedures and surgeries.  Thank you to Nelda and Ellie for those good words this morning.  They helped. 

Don't get me wrong, we knew that God was in control of everything, but we also know that His perfect will can be different than ours.  Mom knew there were risks in the surgery, but she was willing to take the risks, knowing that whatever happened, God would be there with her and that He would always be there.  To the Christian, we know that death is not the end and that for those who love the Lord and have accepted Him as Lord and Savior, Heaven awaits.  Mom loves her kids, grand children, great grand children and great, great grandchildren.  She has told me she wants to see how the great grandchildren grow and what routes their lives will take.  She wants to be here for a long time to come, but she isn't fearful of death.

So I spent the day near my phone.  Waiting for a text.  Waiting for it to ring.  Waiting for an email.  I answered lots of messages asking about Mom and was humbled by how many people of all ages were expressing their love and concern.  She has a lot of friends and she knows how to be a good friend.  It was not a bother to answer those inquires, it was an honor.  So many people were praying for Mom: church friends, former employees who have scattered across the country, my college roommate, family scattered far and wide, friends of my sisters, pastors and missionaries from far and wide, and many others.
Rain water standing in my flower bed that I worked on about a month ago.

About 3:30, it began to rain again and a little after that my brother showed up.  He had brought some things for Mom.  He and his wife were on their way to South Padre Island for a few days as he earns some continuing education hours.  It was good to see him.  He had been with Mom only yesterday at the other end of the state. 

After we closed the office, I went by Mom's house while Ron went another direction and took care of some things for his mom.  Then we each headed home, tired.  We just had a simple supper and continued waiting for more news. 

When additional news came, it was not what we were hoping to hear.  The surgery did not seem to make a difference in the level of the pain and Mom is very discouraged.  It is hard to get bad news, especially when there is nothing you feel that you can do to make it better. 
As the rain dripped from the trees, it really seemed to reflect our mood.  We know God is in control.  We know that He will see all of us and especially Mom through this rough time.  We know He cares.  He has not turned His back on Mom or on all who are praying for her.  I think it is appropriate that I started this blog before I had that answer from my sister this evening that the pain did not appear to be lessened.  So this blog is truly representative of my feelings as the day went on.  I don't know what God has in store for Mom.  I do know that everything we go through can draw us closer to God if we allow it to.  I know Mom loves the Lord and is looking to Him for direction and strength in this situation. 

Please pray that God will give her peace and comfort through this time.  Of course, our will is that her pain be removed and that she be healed quickly.  We seek God's will in this time.  The last few weeks I think I have shared that our pastor has been preaching on the reasons that we suffer.  Good sermons can help us prepare for the hard times.  During the series he preached, I often told him and others what a good series it had been.  Now, when that suffering is happening to someone I love, do I believe the things he preached?  Yes, I still do.  Do I always like them?  Not always, when they touch the ones I love.  So what do I do in those cases?  I turn to God's Word and those verses that I have known and loved all of my life.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  Proverbs 3:5  "I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come?  My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121: 1-2  "God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble."  Psalm 46:1  "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  Psalm 34: 18

Are we brokenhearted?  Yes.  We want Mom to be free of pain.  But the Lord God is near to her and to us, and we will trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment