Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11, 2014

A Day When We All Remember 
Where We Were - 13 Years Ago
September 11, 2014



It seems as if there are certain events which are so seared in our minds, that we remember the details of the event and the day.  For most of us, when we think of September 11, we think of the time  in 2001 when terrorists attacked America in an unimaginable way.  On that day, for some reason I was at home later than usual on a work day and I was at the sewing machine watching Fox and Friends when they got information that a plane had flown into one of the World Trade Center Buildings.  I stayed at home, glued to the television for much of the day, going to the office late in the day.  Very few customers were in.  Everyone was watching television and talking to family and friends to determine what was going on.  Our youngest son was away at college and we talked several times that day.  It was a day of uncertainty and sadness.  As I drove home this evening I was enjoying watching the clouds and as I pulled up to an intersection, I saw this flag flying and thankfully I had a long red light so that I could get my camera out and take a couple of photos.  May God be with America.

After some television watching this morning as the news stations recounted that day 13 years ago, I got my breakfast, took care of a few things in the yard and headed to the office.  On the way to the office I stopped at Wal-Mart to do some birthday shopping for our grandson who has a birthday tomorrow.  I found a few other things there to buy.  (Ha, ha.  I didn't have to look too hard.)  Then I went to the office and let my husband know that I had discovered that our clothes dryer was not working.  So I was stuck with 2 loads of wet clothes.

I took the clothes by his mom's house where my housekeeper works the rest of the week and asked the house keeper if she would dry the clothes for me and I would come back later this afternoon for them.  She took care of them for me and I went by after work for them.  I did take a few minutes both times to take a few hummingbird photos.  None are great.  This morning the feeders were in the shade and this afternoon they were in the very hot sun.  Guess I am just never satisfied.  Scattered out in this blog are a few of those photos.

After leaving my wet clothes, I went shopping for items to make centerpieces for the rehearsal dinner for our youngest son's wedding in less than two months.  I have found some very nice items that I think will work.  We just need to firm up the location for the event.  Our son is so busy with work and other responsibilities that he is having trouble taking care of some of the items to be done.  Before returning to the office I picked up our lunch.

My sister Janet stopped by after lunch.  She is in town for a day or two.  Janet and her husband had been at the island the past few days with his brother and sister-in-law.  The others returned and Janet is here for a day or two and then Mom plans to ride home with her when Janet drives back home to the Fort Worth area.  Mom has hurt her back and she will see if she feels like leaving in the morning or if it would be best to wait a day or two.  During the afternoon I did bookkeeping and bill paying.  I waited on several customers, and answered a couple of emails as well as sending several messages to our son on the wedding decisions. 

I haven't shared that I have been getting emails from someone on the other side of the world who is reading this blog and has had a similar elbow injury to mine.  We have compared experiences and it has been so interesting to carry on this exchange.  I am learning a lot about life far away, for a normal young family.  But it has made me rethink this last 15 months and my original injury and surgery and then the second surgery.  It has made me realize just how far I have come.  I remember when I could not slice an apple, chop an onion or celery, or do basic kitchen activities, like pouring cake batter into a cake pan.  Now I do those things without ever giving them a second thought.  I didn't wake up one day and say, "Today I will be able to slice tomatoes."  It has been gradual and when it actually happened, I didn't always notice it.  God has been there each step of the way.  Those who have read this all during that time know it wasn't always easy and several of you frequently encouraged me and reminded me that I needed to be patient and not push too fast.  Also you reminded me to not get discouraged. 

After work we met my mom and sister, Janet for supper.  We had a good time laughing and chatting over our supper and it was a relaxing time together.  I noticed especially at our office that I was understanding my sister better.  I think she is talking slower and that really helps.

Once I was home I filled the feeders, birdbaths, and ponds.  It has continued to be hot.  The hanging baskets all had to be watered again.  At 5:30 this evening it was 90 degrees.  When I was taking photos at my mother-in-law's house this evening I was sweating a lot.  It was hot and still and muggy.  Rain is in our forecast for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment