Thursday, November 28, 2013

November 28, 2013

Thankfulness
November 28, 2013

There are so many things we take for granted every day of our lives.  We don't stop to think, "I can breathe."  "I can see."  I can hear."  We just do those things automatically.  We don't stop and thank God that we can do those things, until we or someone we love, can't do one or more of them.  In some ways we are thankful for the pretty things we see or the nice music or sounds we hear, but the actual ability to do those things is so often taken for granted.  Once I lost my hearing, I was more aware than ever what amazing things our senses are. 

Years ago my mom lost her sense of taste.  All food tasted like wet cardboard.  It was bland, the texture was off, and eating became a chore.  She would try spicy things thinking maybe if some taste was strong enough, it would get through.  In the same way, when I couldn't hear, often others would think if they yelled loud enough I would be able to hear.  Not true.  I am sometimes concerned that I could set off the bugler alarm at home and not know it and have the police show up to see what is wrong.  Of course then I would not hear the police at the door but they might hear or see me and think I was the "bad guy".  Each of our senses is important.

Today, I am thankful for technology that can help when our senses fail.  I am thankful that I was able to be helped with a Cochlear Implant.  I am thankful for the skill of the medical teams that have been helping me this past year.  I am thankful for the technology that made an artificial part for the bone in my elbow that wouldn't heal and for the doctor and team who replaced my damaged bone portion with the artificial one. 

There are so many things to be thankful for.  I am thankful that Christ died for my sins to pay the price for my sins.  I am thankful for an amazing family.  I am thankful for friends who are always there for me, but who especially have helped this past year.  The list could go on and on, but it is good for us to set aside time to think of the things we are thankful for.

I was up at 5:45 this morning and started working in the kitchen getting the turkey in the oven.  Then I went to feed the feathered friends in the back yard.  The Duck Wars continue.  There were 25 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks that showed up for breakfast.  I remembered why they are called "whistling" ducks.  They were noisy this morning.  Here are some of them lined up on the roof waiting for me to fill the feeders.
Here are others waiting out by the water for me to go back inside so they could come eat.

Ron's mother and my mother came between 12:00 and 1:00 and spent the rest of the afternoon here after eating lunch with us.  It was a good lunch and a good visit.
Ron's mother and I went through some old family quilts so that she could tell me what she remembered about them.  It was interesting to hear her vivid memories of many things from her childhood as she watched mothers, grandmothers, great grandmother, and aunts make quilts.
My mom who is not a quilter enjoyed going through some quilt magazines while quilts were discussed.  Ron and I are blessed to have our moms here in town and in good health.  Ron's mom has a few health problems but she was feeling very good today and had a good time at our home.

Oh, I did put the turkey in the oven alone.  At time to get it out, I had Ron get it out for me, so maybe I am 1/2 way to my goal.  It was a busy day in the kitchen and I am tired, but it was a very good day.

1 comment: